installing apps by apple's SDK (get around jailbreak)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cryophil, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cryophil

cryophil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Many of you are going to tell me to just jailbreak. Okay, advice noted.

But my curiosity is getting the best of me. Since you can use the Apple iphone/itouch SDK to build apps and install them for testing, can you not do the same for other non-approved apps, such as the ones released through Cydia?

But no jailbreak would be necessary, I suppose.
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Jailbroken apps nearly always need to operate out of their little 'sandbox' which apps installed via iTunes have to be in. You may get a few games and such that work that way but the decent things like winterboard and sbsettings wont work
  3. cryophil

cryophil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So apps which were created within the limits of the 'sandbox' (rules) but were rejected by apple for competing could be installed using the SDK.

For example, the google voice app. Or the VLC video player app. ??
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'd suspect so... but you'd need the $99 developer license so you can codesign the app.
  5. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Now I know you said
    But in all reality Itd just be easier to jailbreak, someone with developing expierence(at least iThink you have some) like you should have no problem clicking a button that says make it rain. $99 just to get an app is not worth it
  6. cryophil

cryophil New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    We have the SDK at work. I was thinking of using the laptop with it to install some extra apps. Will report if it works.

My issue with jailbreak is that I work in the field, take an extra ext. battery, but no laptop to fix a reset on jailbreak...
  7. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Easy fix for that is to stop using the iPod before it runs out of battery. You would have to stop using it if it did run out anyway, so stopping a few minutes earlier shouldnt be a massive issue.

You can let then battery get down to like 3%, put her in sleep mode and you should have well over 12 hours to get it to a charger with that remaining battery. I've heard of someone leaving theirs in sleep mode for almost 3 weeks and the battery only dropping 15%.

The only thing you would be missing out on is a few minutes extra with the iPod switched on...