Installing .app [Not piracy]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gleesonger, Mar 14, 2009.

1. gleesonger

gleesonger New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First off this is not attempt to install a cracked app.I'm attempting to install this application to better understand the code so that I might modify it for my own personal use.
    Ive done plenty of searches on this site and google but all I get back is articles referring to cracked ipas.

How do I install a .app?
    Command line is prefered as I will end up automating the operation though a GUI method will also do.

Thanks,
    Ger.

.ycarip ton niagA
  2. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    you will have to SSH into the device and place in the applications folder on the ipod/iphones root, like "/applications/your app" and set the permissions to 755.
  3. gleesonger

gleesonger New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ive attempted that a few times I've cd to
    /private/var/stash/Applications.5RHZpq/
    And copied the .app folder into the dir then set the permissions to 0755 (recursivley)
    Rebooted and nothing.

Directory Structure:

--Applications.5RHZpq
    --------Stumbler.app
    -------------------Stumbler
    -------------------Info.plist
    -------------------icon.png
    -------------------Default.png

Thanks for the reply.

Just saw this in Info.plist
    Code:
    <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
    	<string>????</string>

Should this be modified?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I have a program called categories which "creates a folder" in which you can put all your icons.The folder is really just an application that launches the app.I attempted to create a emty "folder" and overwrite some of its contents with my app just to see what would happen but when the "folder" was created before I modified its contents, it did a respring and my application icon also appered aswell as the "folder".Strange as I had already done a restart with no results!?

Anywhos now the icon has appeared on the dsktop,the loading screen is displayed on app start and then the app quits, any ideas?
  4. ロリ狩りクン

ロリ狩りクン New Member

i tryed doing this with ONScripter for the ipod touch, installing via cydia or installer works fine but via ssh dosnt ever work for me.

what might help is compiling a ipa with the app and payload in it... and then install via itunes?
  5. gleesonger

gleesonger New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think that it is installed correctly but the demo app that im trying to use that demostrates the use of the private networking api hasn't be ported to 2.0