InstallerApp For Mac Installs Jailbreak Apps w/o Jailbreaking [Gizmodo]

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by studangerous, Mar 25, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The infamous RipDEV have released a Mac only tool that allows you to download Cydia and Installer4 packages to your laptop and install them via USB to a jailed device [n.b. this has been debunked in a report here and it is suggested that InstallApp semi-jailbreaks your device (i.e. does not give access to the root) using RipDEV's Pusher tool before installing any apps]. However, as many of us know there's always a cost in using RipDEV's releases. In this case, $7 to download the Mac only software.

'InstallerApp comes with free built-in Pusher — software that can install Installer.app on your iPhone without jailbreaking' says the RipDev blurb. 'By default Pusher will not install a set of command-line utilities and unlock the system partition as it’s usually is done by some popular jailbreak solutions and may lead to additional instability of the iPhone software, but it will do so if that is what you want.'

Given RipDEVs reputation I'm sitting on the fence on this one until the community provides some feedback... but it looks interesting to say the least.

Update/ from the replies to this post it seems the IPTF community continues to distrust RipDEV products and the overwhelming majority state their preference to jailbreak for free using Dev Team discovered methods and install apps through Cydia.

From Gizmodo:

Links:
    Gizmodo
    RipDEV
  2. div^

div^ New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    looks interesting
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Old news. The Intelliscreen cats are working on something like this with the Sleepers cats too. I don't trust any of the three mentioned groups, so I will not be using any of these (this or RockYourPhone (or is RockMyPhone, I don't remember/care)).
  4. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Looks pretty cool. No iPod touch support yet. I'd rather jailbreak anyways probably.
  5. POK

POK New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i dont trust RipDEV. this is a BAD idea.
    Jailbreak is the easiest, best and ONLY solution as far as i am concerned.
    Save your $7.
  6. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You have to jailbreak to fully use this tool. Can't install (most) cydia packages without jailbreaking the device.
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Interesting. Have you tried it? The reason I ask is that RipDEV are leaning on the sales point that you don't need to jailbreak to install Cydia & INstaller4 apps using their system. I'm not a Mac user so can't try it out myself...
  8. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Ehh, seems pointless. I would rather just jailbreak and save my $7. I trust the dev team more anyway

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  10. Mircix

Mircix Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    that's brilliant news for future devices! But i'll rather jailbreak