Installer - WDF?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ari., Jan 25, 2008.

1. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    It said there was an update, so i sed yes updatem, now lmao, it crashes out when i open it!! wdf guys, please help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Bernstein229

Bernstein229 New Member

I get the same problem too.
  3. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    can anyone help?
  4. Davidc44

Davidc44 New Member

This post was taken from another guy called DerekVOF

This has been popping up here a lot lately, so I thought I should address it for those of you new to the iPod Touch/iPhone jailbreak.

So, you've finally gotten your iPod Touch/iPhone jailbroken, and you've installed a bunch of applications, but now you start getting crashes when you try to install more. Installer will crash out during the install or the program will appear to be installed but nothing happens. You grind your teeth a bit. Yell, scream... Just don't throw your iPod Touch/iPhone...

Your problem - you've run out of space. And before you go, "I've got 2GB of space left?!?!?" let me explain. The memory space on the iPod Touch/iPhone is broken into two partitions - the first partition contains the operating system/firmware/applications and is FIXED at only 300MB. The second partition contains your media (music, videos, settings, etc.). What you need to do is free space on your first partition and/or move your applications to your second partition. If you don't think you're running out of space, try this - go into MobileTerminal or Term-vt100 or even SSH into your iPod Touch/iPhone and type the following command - "df -h" It will indicate the amount of space on your partitions. If you have less than 10% free on your first partition, this is most likely your problem.

So, what to do - you've got two ways to do it. One with a simple tool and one with a lot of messy command line stuff - we'll try the simpler of the two methods:

** WARNING - As you probably know from doing the jailbreak, things can go wrong and you may be forced to restore your iPod Touch/iPhone and start over. This is no different - you've been warned. Your mileage may vary. Do not remove this tag. Blah blah blah **

First, you want to clear off some space. You'll need to uninstall some of your applications from Installer. If you can't free up space with Installer, you'll need to go in via SSH (using CyberDuck or Total Commander or iBrickr or WinSCP or CuteFTP or whatever) and delete applications manually (don't forget to empty the trash folder).

Second, run Installer and add the following source (click on Sources on the bottom right, hit Edit and then hit Add) - sleepers.net/iphonerepo - make sure you type it exactly!

Third, install BSD Subsystem (the low level code is required for the next tool we install). It can be found in the System category. You may have already installed this for another program - check your uninstall list if you can't find it.

Fourth, install BossTool (the tool that'll handle the fix). It can be found in the Utilities folder.

Finally, run the BossTool. At the very top you'll see the option to free space on your iPod Touch/iPhone. Tap on it and you'll be giving options to move stuff around (wallpaper, ringtones [for iPhones], and applications). Free up space. Make sure you're not low on battery when doing this - don't want to have to restore and start over.

That should be it. You should see on the free space pane in BossTool that you've got more space to use for applications now.

However, if for some reason you are unable to get the BossTool to work for you, you may need to do it manually - go to this website for more information - http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/More_Space_for_Applications

Good luck.
  5. Bernstein229

Bernstein229 New Member

I already moved my apps. My problem is that the installer won't even go on.
  6. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    lol thansk for the post, but mines not ran out of space, i go to oepn isnatller and it crashes out, it worked fine,t hen after it updated, it stoped