Installer vs Cydia

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by newgen2005, Aug 18, 2008.

1. newgen2005

newgen2005 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have installer on my 1.1.4 iphone, I have heard a lot of people talking about Cydia, what is the difference? Can I install Cydia as well as Installer or will I loose Installer if install Cydia? Sorry if I am asking silly questions but I have only had my phone 2 days

Please Register or Log in to view images

My phone came unlocked and jailbroken so apart from learning how to SSH I know nothing!!!!
  2. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    yes you can have both. if you're on 1.1.4 then you have the old installer which is better than the current installer on fw 2.0 atm. Cydia tends to be faster on 2.0 as well.
    to sum up, on fw 1.1.4 below i think installer is better. but on 2.0/2.0.1 Cydia is better because Installer is still in the beta stage.

But yes you can have both but there's no point as both contain same packages (roughly)
  3. newgen2005

newgen2005 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Nice one thanks, I will stick with Installer in that case.
  4. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Good answer above =]

But yeah, as you're on 1.1.4, it doesnt really matter which one you choose (though I never liked Cydia back then because I was used to Installer). But if you ever go on 2.x firmware, as above said, Installer is still in Beta stage and doesnt seem to be too great so Cydia would be the way to go.