Installer "Refreshing" Period

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by edoras, Jan 6, 2008.

1. edoras

edoras New Member

Is it normal whenever you click the Installer, it will always refresh the sources?
    After a while its become a hassle (refreshing period)
    Its becoming longer and longer after we key in a list of new sources...

Did you guys experience the same thing?
  2. iMaze

iMaze New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I noticed this as well. When I first jailbroke my iPod it went really quick, after a while it took alot longer.
  3. edoras

edoras New Member

It took about 3-5 minutes or more probably....
  4. Codizzle69

Codizzle69 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yea mines taking a hell of a lot longer than it used to
  5. edoras

edoras New Member

Some people suggested to delete unwanted sources... But I don't know which to categorize as unwanted sources.

What happen if we install sources which seems to be duplicate??
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It does happen. The most sources you have, the longer it will take to refresh, especially if one or more of them are down.

I'm working on a possible answer to source clutter, but it's going to take some time to get done. I am hoping that once I am done with it, it will be used for its intended purpose and eliminate the need for all sorts of different sources.
  7. edoras

edoras New Member

That would be great!

Is there a single/centralize source which can automatically update and combined all the existing sources rather than a user have to key-in one-by-one each time someone create a source?
  8. homeruntilly

homeruntilly New Member

one of the sources on my iPod always hangs and slows it down a lot
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

No -- and it wouldn't really help if one source queried other repos as you'd run into the same timeout issues. My plan is to have one repo that houses everything locally so it doesn't have to concern itself with other servers that may or may not be fast or even up. It will be publicly accessible (through free accounts to curtail abuse/vandalism) and anyone will be able to submit apps. Those who submit apps will be able to update, edit and delete their entries as they see fit. Each entry will be browsable through a web browser or the "more info" link in Installer with longer descriptions and screenshots (if the submitter so chooses). Apps can be installed directly from installer or downloaded as a zip from the website to be stored on your local hard drive (in case you want a local archive of the apps).

Think of it like Wikipedia, but for Touch/iPhone apps accessible through Installer or the web.

For developers, skinners, level designers and so on, it gives them one central repo where they can upload their work to be distributed to everyone. They don't have to host their own downloads so they can save bandwidth for their website, and it will be reliably hosted so the site is never (or at least rarely) down.

For users, it would mean they only need one source to add to Installer. Fast updates, no duplicate entries in Installer for the categories or the updates (that bugs me the most, I think).

I will run the site, but I will probably recruit a few admins to police the site and keep everything in order.

As I said though it's going to take some time to do. I'm doing this project solo (I did have someone else helping out but he's dropped out due to time restrictions, which I understand. If there are any PHP/SQL wizards, I could use the help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

) so I probably won't have anything workable 'til at least next month. Then I will have to convince content developers to use it instead of their own. That may be the harder part.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The only thing my repo will not have is ROMs for legal reasons. (I will probably allow really old stuff like Atari 2600 if there is ever an emulator, but no Nintendo stuff (they police their IP religiously) and no PSX stuff, both for legal reasons and because the ISOs are huge.) If someone else creates repos for those then you'll have to use those sources instead.