Installer Permission resists change

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by liesee, Jul 9, 2008.

1. liesee

liesee New Member

Someone told me to change my Installer permission to make it stop crashing... so I tried 4755. It failed: I got the message of Insufficient Permissions. I go back to change it and... what? It's set to 755. No matter, I'll just put it back to 6755... and the touch says the same thing: Insufficient permissions. Turns out, no matter what I do it goes back to 755 -- I even tried replacing the Installer.app which made it worse... now it just loads a white screen then crashes. Anyone know how to fix this?
  2. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

you have to enter these commands in to putty.
    putty:
    http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

hostname (your ipod's ip address login as root and password alpine it wont show up but itll be there.
    then enter these commands one by one then reboot:

chown -R root:wheel /Applications/Installer.app/

chmod 4755 /Applications/Installer.app/Installer
  3. liesee

liesee New Member

Thanks mlbplayer, that worked like a charm in changing the permissions. However, I tried to "replace" the Installer.app before... and that is causing problems now. The Installer size is supposed to be 141kb, but after I coped it onto the iPod Touch it became ~100kb. No problem, I'll just try replacing it again: 0kb. Replace again, its 131kb. Is there a way I can transfer using Putty? WinSCP and cuteFTP are failing me at replacing the Installer.app lol.

EDIT: Nevermind... I tried it again on WinSCP and it somehow worked this time. Thanks mlbplayer for all your help!