INstaller or Cydia and what should I be installing?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by maclac, Aug 10, 2008.

1. maclac

maclac New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just pwned my ipod.

Got both installer 4 and cydia on it but was wondering what the difference really is - I probably will stick with installer as I am familiar with it from previous JB.

I wanted to know if there are any essential apps to install like on 1.1.4 with ssh, boss tool etc etc.

Thanks for any help

malc
  2. EMForce

EMForce New Member

Cydia FTW just open SSH and w.e you fancy
  3. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

OpenSSH is needed. BossTool is not needed, as Cydia automatically does the symlinks for you. MobileTerminal is highly recommended, especially for Cydia users.

And no, Cydia is better. Done. Period. No more. It is more supported, and it able to be controlled by Terminal if something in Cydia goes wrong (very little of the time, compared to Installer which does not have Terminal support features), it does not respring and lessens the chance of SWOD's, the BSD is more powerful and dependable, it is more well organized and has few bugs, and also has many useful command-line utilities for download.
  4. maclac

maclac New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok cool, ill give cydia a go

One more question

first run of cydia says i have 4 essential apps out of date and 10 in total to update.

Do I really need to have Debian/bzip2/core utilites/libxml2/diskdev-cmds/openssl/sqlite v3/APT?

the others are sources and cydia itself (I guess that is just an update)

I really have no interest in running via term etc, was never into it even put me off using Ubunutu, happy enough with SSH though

Cheers for assistance
  5. Blooper4912

Blooper4912 Member

You should always update all of the packages it has updates for.

APT is the package management system that Cydia runs on. Its very important.
  6. maclac

maclac New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Roger.

From a quick read of the faqs most of these seem like they are for cmd line stuff so wont have graphical icons (from faq lol) - just dont want unessacery icons on me ipod (already got that with Stocks etc)

Malc
  7. EMForce

EMForce New Member

what he said those are necessary utility for cydia to work, installer has the same thing the just don't show them
  8. maclac

maclac New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well ive pdated and put my profile as a user (like I say i reckon Itll be a rare occaision for my to use command line) should be fine from here on in. Think ill leave insaller at least for the mo - did have a look at it but its a bit buggy.

One last thing

bzip2 - is that really required, cant iomagine ill have any use for it

cheers again

malc
  9. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Just stay with Cydia for the moment. It has a lot more things on it. Installer is on Beta. The only thing I really suggest is Customize, Winterboard and OpenSSH. Also, use BossTool to move fonts and free up a lot of space.
  10. maclac

maclac New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Gitykins tells me boos tool is not required