Installer on 1.1.4!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Teslanaut, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, apple's version of it anyway. I'm predicting that's how we will be getting the sdk apps.

anyone else have predictions?

Posted from iPod.
  2. kappatango

kappatango New Member

Moved to General Chat.
  3. moler

moler New Member

One word: iTunes!
  4. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

Like widgets. Download something from the apple website or from other websites. It will add in iTunes. yeah.

Installer could be a 3rd party app. Remember, just because the SDK will come doesnt mean the iPod touch/iPhone developers will quit. I heard appsnapp will hopefully still be here during the time of SDK

and 1.1.3 is prepped for the SDK.
  5. laguna_z

laguna_z New Member

I'm sorry to ask but I was wondering, what's SDK? thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. davetaz

davetaz New Member

SDK = Software Development Kit

It is what has already been released to some companies to enable them to be able to develop application for the iPhone/IPod Touch Platform.

In the new 1.1.3 firmware there is a non administrator user which runs most of the applications. This user does not have permission to go and destroy your contacts etc on the device however it can still read them. Basically it offers some level of protection to the user from malicious programs but doesn't stop them reading all your personal info so always be careful what you install.

The timezone bug is a result of adding this non admin user as it is this user which runs the preferences app to change the timezone but does not have write access to the file. Ironic then that you require a jailbroken device to fix this!
  7. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    SDK stands for Software Development Kit, which is a set of tools that Apple will sell to 3rd party developers, so they can make apps for iPhone/iPod Touch.

I think the SDK won't bring revolutionary apps, as we pretty much have all the apps we need. Perhaps the SDK will improve quality of apps for obvious reasons, but beyond that...time will tell...
  8. KingCathcart

KingCathcart New Member

I wonder if we'll be able to download apps through the the iTunes store app on the touch?I very much doubt it but it would be pretty cool if you could. Providing you don't mind paying for them of course.
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I expect that 1.1.3 was the SDK-capable update, hence the change in file system structure and user privileges -- unless there's something they forgot or a new feature they want to add, then I don't think 1.1.4 is going to be that significant.
  10. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i hope that all of the (well most) developers who made apps for iphone and ipod touch for the jailbreak, just release all of those apps first, tthen bring out new ones. that would be cool. and does anyone know of the cost of these apps?