Installer help

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by weewoot, Nov 21, 2007.

1. weewoot

weewoot New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    my ipod touch has been jailbroken for about 1 month. ive had no problems with it. But recently every time i start up installer it starts to refresh sources and then stops at the same point every time. ive even left it over night next to my router.

(installer 3, firmware 1.1.1)
  2. TheRays

TheRays New Member

Mine sometimes does this, turn your iPod on and off, until installer works. Give it a few attempts each time. Write back with results.
  3. weewoot

weewoot New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok.... the results are in.
    it got a little bit further on the 3rd try
    it got less far after the 3rd try(2 more times)
    i think this might be due to a source i added. i might have mispelled it or somthing. is there a way to manualy remove it?

before any1 else posts and wasts there time, i have done it on the 16th time thanks "the rays".

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually there is a way. You need to SFTP into your iPod Touch. Go into /private/var/root/Library/Installer. Find the file named PackageSource.plist. Check to see what it's permissions are (should be 644). Download the file and MAKE A BACKUP IN CASE YOU SCREW UP. Open the original file in a simple text editor. Delete the whole block (from <dict> to </dict>) for the bad source. SFTP the file back into the directory and make sure the permissions are set to 644 again.

You should be able to then load up Installer.app without the bad source(s). Worked for me, but your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal.
  5. EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven New Member

I found that just waiting a long while and trying again worked when this happened to me. I think it's caused by busy servers (or at least it was for me, since it magically fixed itself).
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Mine was a bad URL - was locking up Installer.app and wouldn't let me in at all - just hung about 3/4 of the way through...

But busy servers can also be a problem - I know they were after 1.1.2 was released and everyone was re-jailbreaking...
  7. weewoot

weewoot New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i did that, and removed the source i thought was bad today, because it would not refresh again. it said it was unable too. took me only 10mins and now it works. thanks for the help.