Installer Freezing

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by GrooveMachine, Jan 1, 2008.

1. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey, I recently added a source that I found on a website, and it showed up as "Untitled Source" when I looked at it. I also installed a few apps before rebooting. After rebooting (to finish the app installs), I noticed that I can't get past about a third of the way into the refresh. This means that I can't use Installer at all (bec ause it refreshes on startup.

My wifi is not the problem (I've made sure with my computer while refreshing). I manually uninstalled the apps I installed (using Finder.app and Term vt-100). Another interesting thing to point out is that Finder.app couldn't not uninstall one of the apps I installed.

Here's the apps I installed before it began to freeze while refreshing:
    RealArtist, Stack.

And, the source that I added before it stopped working:
    http://www.installerapps.com/2007/11/13/list-of-installerapp-sources/

I'm pretty sure (in fact, willing to bet money on it) that the above source is screwing up Installer because it's not a real source (which I figured out later). Someone (who was really stupid) said that that was a source.

Is there any way to delete sources without reinstalling Installer, or without actualy opening it (i.e. editing a plist file or something)?
  2. ballinjace

ballinjace New Member

Restore your ipod.
  3. iGabe Touch

iGabe Touch New Member

Ouch. That's a little radical, don't you think?

I think it'd be a little easier to just reinstall installer.

unless someone else has a better idea?
  4. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah...as much as I would like to restore my iPod, I don't want to lose everything. Could someone upload their Installer.app, and I'll delete my caches and preferences for it, then SSH it back on there? Thanks. I might just re-jailbreak it after deleting Installer.app.

EDIT:
    Hey guys, I fixed the problem. By SSH-ing into my iPod touch into this directory:

/private/var/root/Library/Installer

After removing the fake source in "PackageSources.plist" (by deleting the individual source's data between its <dict> and </dict>), I was able to reboot and run Installer again. So, all of my files are unchanged (except the faulty part of PackageSources.plist), and it works again. Good thing I didn't jump to conclusions restore my iPod! ;D