Installer for 2.0? Completely Possible.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by sunnyboi14, Jun 11, 2008.

1. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, with all of the talk of AppStore, there will have to be an alternative. When we jailbreak iPhone 3G and 2.0, this will be completely POSSIBLE.

Installer could download applications for 2.0 from special designated repos, and put them in the right place. It would be almost the same thing as AppStore, but with other repos involved. So this would be the easier alternative to ssh'ing.

If anyone is ready to start the development of this, please. Start now.

P.S. FREE ONLY! NO MONEY INVOLVED WHATSOEVER!
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Now here in lies the Problem. There will not be content for Installer for a LONGGGG longgg time because people spent time developing in the Jiggy/Java environment.

Objective-C takes a long time to learn and you need a Mac with Leopard and the iPhone SDK to develop apps for it.
  3. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    and most people don't have a mac, so we could be in trouble.
  4. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Very true, but think about it. This community is VERY strong. We can almost do anything we set our minds too. This would be a fairly simple task. I mean, look at Band? Already developed. Objective-C.

Yeah, but people do have macs, and it could happen.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I disagree. Apps such as Installer and NESApp already work perfectly with 2.0. Also, the toolchain has already been ported to 2.0. Meaning that anyone interested in programming for 2.0 can.

No, Jiggy won't work (as far as I know), but that will eventually be updated.

EDITED: I have no interest in Jiggy, so I don't know its development state.
  6. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Installer has been ported to 2.0 already?
  7. SkylarEC

It has been 2.0 ready for a long time. Although, I believe NESApp was the first "big" app to be successfully ported. But that's just a front end to a C++ emulator. I expect the rest of the emulators to be ported fairly easily as well.
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    NES.app worked, that I remember, though strangely, it couldn't detect the Roms even though they were in the right place. So they've already ported all the Frameworks from 2.0? So you can develop for 2.0 on Windows as you would OS X?

I hope Jiggy doesn't get ported. Do we really need to see another flood of Jiggy Widgets? Dump Jiggy and force people to learn Objective-C.

Where did you get news that Installer is 2.0 ready? And is it by the same people? Or has someone else taken on the role?
  9. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh. Where can i see this officially? More official than you, which is almost official.
  10. SkylarEC

I don't know. I don't think I've seen it in print. I just know if from my conversations with some "big" developers. [ie, I've heard it from more than one.] Although to be fair, the last time I spoke with Nullriver was when I requested to be removed from the Community Sources list.

I can't personally verify because I haven't installed 2.0. I don't plan on it until it is officially released. Yes, I already have it and have inspected all of the frameworks, but I see no need to install it yet.