Installer Crash, Tried Installing Bosstool

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Chevronshifter, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Chevronshifter

Chevronshifter New Member

So as I've seen other people report Installer started crashing whenever I install something larger than an eBook, so I searched and found this thread:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19572&highlight=installer crashes

But alas I uninstalled at least 4 Megs of apps and still Installer crashed before BossTool would install. At the warned risk of looking like a noob who can't search the forums, I ask if anyone knows what to do about this. Furthermore I heard tell of a command I can use in SSH on my computer to move data to a different partition, but I cannot find where in my SFTP application (Fetch, Mac OSX) to find a "Terminal" function.
  2. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

Suggestion: try uninstalling a few apps (even if "a few" is what you have) and force reboot the iPod (don't just turn it off then back on again). After trying gajillions of things, I decided to try this out earlier today and finally got BossTool to install.

Let me know.
  3. Chevronshifter

Ok, now I somehow managed to get BossTool to show up, after restarting and something, but a few other issues appear to have come up.

One, the icon for both BossTool and Categories is a Grey box and a question mark. I don't know if they're supposed to have other icons, but whatever. Two, BossTool seems to have other issues, because below "Disk Space" in the Free Disk Space thing, it doesn't say anything about the space but says:

free out of on
    * free out of on

*(an e with a circumflex accent on it then a cross shaped character). I pressed relocate Applications but it just changed the two characters on the second line to another 2 characters.
  4. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

Mine was pretty messed up too when I opened it... but I never had any problems with the relocation. The icon is the same "no-icon icon" that you describe to me (I seriously think this is the generic "WTF no icon?" icon that the iPod has).

Sorry if I'm speaking weirdly, I'm exhausted.
  5. Chevronshifter

And apparently neither it nor Categories show up for uninstallation in installer...
  6. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

I see. I have a solution to that problem; you have two choices:
    1. Connect through SSH to the iPod, go to /Applications/ and delete the apps that don't work for you / don't show up on Installer.
    2. Do the same thing using MobileFinder.app, if you've installed it. Double tap on the folders called ".." to go up one hierarchy level until you're in / (or just tap the ~ button on the top right, I think), double tap on /Applications, scroll until you find the app you want to delete, tap it once, click File, Delete (something like that). You might have to do this a couple times until MobileFinder realizes that you want to delete it, lol.

Eh... I think SSH is easier though... lmao.

[Edit] By the way, I've been having problems getting Categories working. It just doesn't budge. I'll wait until it is updated a couple more times until I give it another twirl.
  7. gruppler

gruppler New Member

what exactly did you do? i've uninstalled lots of stuff, deleted my disctionaries (at least 20MB) and still, when i ssh and enter "df -h" i see that the app partition is still 100% full. i've rebooted several times and i don't know what to do.
  8. moosey

moosey New Member

this happened to me also and i ended up having to revert back to verison 1.1.1 and now 1.1.2 will not install again even when i follow the instructions exactly and i know they work because i ve done it before.