Installer 4.0 Review

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by bobby681, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well Installer is finally out of beta and seeing as I used it on 1.x.x and briefly on 2.x.x, I thought I'd take it for another ride, if only for a bit.

Now this is the page you first get to when you run it, not too bad but I'd say the rows are a bit too thin for my liking. And as you can see from the picture, not every application has a corresponding icon

Please Register or Log in to view images

Next is the 'What's new' page. It takes about 5 seconds to move from the featured page to this page but after a couple of moves between each page, it gets slightly quicker.

From what I can see, it shows updates to installer, but doesn't go into much detail, most of it being 'Changes @ ripdev.org'. Having a page telling you that the changes are somewhere else doesn't really make much sense to me, but there may be other uses to this page aswell.

The final page on this section is the 'Info' page, nothing much to say here, just goes into detail about Lua and libcurl aswell as 3 bits of info about the device.

The categories section is much like Cydia in what it shows first, except with the thinner rows again as you can see in the next picture. One thing that is different is that when you go into 'All packages', it lists the apps in Categories, instead of alphabetical order like in cydia.

It doesn't take long for all the applications that come with installer to show up on the list, however when installing something, it does take longer.

One thing I do like about Installer is the search screen, like in Cydia when you type something in, it searches through and pulls out things that match up. But with Installer, it is more graphical (shown below) and I kinda like it. However when you search for something that brings up alot of results, it does get a bit laggy when scrolling down.

Its sources time, Installer comes with the RIP Dev source and has the option of installing Community Sources. When I chose to install this, it did take a long time, about a minute, to complete and my iPod did get slow when installing it, but afterwards it was fine again. Also, opening 'All Packages' when community sources are installed does take longer than before, but not too much longer.

You can also see the installation page here, it has a 5 star rating system for applications which I think is pretty cool, although not completely needed. The task screen is also there which shows what installer is doing when you're installing something or updating sources.

So there's a review for the new Installer release. Its worked better than I thought it would. One thing I don't like about it is that there is no message telling you that an application has installed, the task screen just goes blank. Also, springboard seems to hang for a bit when exiting Installer, but then is fine after about 10 seconds.

All In all, its come a long way since the beta, it hasn't caused a crash yet anyway

2. oookkaaaaay

oookkaaaaay Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    idk. I like it now. In my opinion I like the thin bars on the main page. I also think it looks very appealing, looks better than cydia.
  3. macfanboy

macfanboy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i really want to like installer...i do but so far it has caused my ipod to crash and i had to manualy go fix this, i am scared and i will wait till i see other people try this and also like it
    in my opinion, the task management is ingenious, its amazing, somethingCydia should definately have. and the GUI, is simply amazing, it even gives Apple's appstore a run for its money
  4. amandwato

amandwato Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i havent got any crashes, and i love it! great ui
  5. slamdunksaliby

slamdunksaliby Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I love it too =), it is getting a lot better!
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It's not bad, but Cydia definitely took the reigns for Firmware 2.x.
  7. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Very true. I can't even remember the last time I touched that installer icon...
  8. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I was the same way on Firmware 1.x with Cydia. It was more for developers on Firmware 1.x, but they've shifted to a more general use now.
  9. PianoMan92

PianoMan92 New Member

does anyone have good sources for installer? much respect if you do