Installer 4.0 News From RIP Blog - Repo Structure

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by shahir29, Jul 25, 2008.

1. shahir29

shahir29 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Installer 4: Repo Structure

Let’s get technical. This post will be mostly interesting to the repository owners, so if you’re not, you may want to skip it altogether.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Installer 4 uses the new repository structure which is aimed at minimizing the traffic for both repo owner and the user, as well as expands the standard a little bit. It is still good old plists, but for the repo owner perspective, you don’t really have to mock with them… at all

Here’s how it works. Each package (a .zip file) now must contain a .plist file inside describing the package - including install/uninstall scripts, description, version, identifier, dependencies, and so on. It may also contain a png icon to be displayed as the package icon in the Installer.

When the repository owner puts the file in the repository directory tree (in the appropriate folder for the category), the repository engine does the rest - automagically extracts the plist (and the package icon) from the package archive, parses it, puts in the appropriate places and gets it ready to be served to Installer.

I have finished the repo engine code (it uses PHP) and is currently going to give it a test run for a few days internally, then we’ll put it in the public domain to re-use and abuse, along with a more detailed instructions on the package structure and plist keys (they are mostly the same).

A nice additional feature I didn’t mention yet - you can now specify an arbitrary URL to be used as a package info, so you can create spiffy webpages describing your über product in a totally custom way (the document will be shown in a web view replacing standard package info page).

Regarding distribution / installation of Installer 4. We are still ironing the details, but it will likely be available as a part of the Pwnage Tool (as before), as a stand-alone installer (akin to AppTapp installer back in 1.0.x days), and possibly on Cydia. We’ll see how it works out.
  2. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

thank you for the post

quite interesting
  3. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It would be interesting if they decided to go on with the plan of it being availible through Cydia.
    Even though when it comes out I will repwn with the Cydia and Installer payload.

Also, the new URL feature is interesting, gives people more creative ways to advertise/promote their product.
  4. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well that is cool. so this will 'act' like app store in looks? when testing tell us how it DL and UnIn apps. i find those the most crucial for me.
  5. Jikoo

Jikoo New Member

don't rip dev need to give us an example of a file?
  6. tylobedo

tylobedo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)