Installer 2.0 HELP

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by edistar, Aug 1, 2008.

1. edistar

edistar New Member

Ok so installer for the 2.0 jailbreaken is coming out tomorrow and stuff so my questions are:

1) Ok I know this sounds lame but can someone explain installer for me I have only used cydia so far cause I just recently bought a ipod touch and now I dont know much about installer cause I have never used it because I have the 2.0 updated jailbroken ipod touch.
    2) Ok second quesion. How will we be able to download installer into our ipod touches and iphones ( I read somewhere its gonna be through cydia but Im still confused at how thats gonna work, because from what I have learned cydia and installer are two different things that supposedly download stuff into your ipod touch and do the same things. Can someone explain the difference between them for me please!
    3) question 3, ok so lets say we all downloaded installer, NOW will we finally be able to get all those applications such as iphysics and stuff that werent compatible on the 2.0 jailbreak. Can someone please expain that issue too. Thanks
  2. IpodtouchMM

IpodtouchMM New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    the only way to get installer is from cydia,but after u download it...u can download stuff FROM installer..like iphyics and stuff.
    Installer works very similar to Cydia dont worry about this questions. Download it tomorrow and you'll be fine! k
  3. skaman34

skaman34 New Member

except for the fact its not coming out tomarrow.....
  4. ChuckMez

ChuckMez New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Good luck getting it tommorow when it's... NOT EVEN COMING OUT TOMMOROW!!! Rofl, not to be mean
  5. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    yea and I don't think you will get iphysics it's not ported to 2.0 neither is all the app your prolly think about. Once the dev port them they will be available for download via cydia/Installer
  6. nothernhorspowa

nothernhorspowa New Member

That post/the comments about Installer 4 coming out tomorrow (or today)... all false.
  7. Carnage

Carnage Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Its not even coming out tomorrow. Also none of the apps from installer 1.1.X wont work on 2.0. The apps have to be ported and recoded. Plus iphysics is being made for the appstore.
  8. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    okay so here is the story:

installer and cydia are both apps that can download stuff like apps and themes to your ipod, things which are not supported by apple.

First on the 1.*.* jailbreak, installer came out. this did the same as cydia does, you can download things and install them on your ipod. installer also needed BDS subsystem, a UNIX based system which was needed to install some packages.

after a while some people found out that they began to dislike installer. it was slow and the BDS subsytem was lousy, and needed an update, but no one where willing to do that. so thats when saurik and cydia came. saurik made a whole new installer (a program which installs thing) which included a much better subsystem. many people (including me) found out that cydia was much better. it was faster, had a much better subsystem, looked better and you did't have to wait for it to load. but some still said that cydia SUX BIG MOTHER AZZZZZZZZZ, beacuase it didnt have the abbielty to add sources.

then came 2.0. it had a whole new application structure, so none of the apps from 1.1.* worked. they all had to be rewiritten. Saurik was fast and realesed cydia for the 2.0 FW with the jailbreak, but installer hadn't been ported yet. people who didn't like cydia was forced to use it beacuse there was no other alternative.

so installer and cydia does almost the same (install things), but it is developed by different people.

and when installer comes out you will probably be able to downlaod it tru cydia. cydia installs the program installer and you can use that to install programs instead.

BUT this doenst mean you can install all the apps from 1.1.* . as i said they have to be rewritten before you can use them with 2.0. if they had been re-written, they'd probably already be on cydia. installer can't magicly get all the apps from 1.1.4 to work on 2.0
  9. foppinanrockin

foppinanrockin Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)

It is easier to write the code for installer, but now you can add sources on cydia so idk
  10. edistar

edistar New Member

OK Im kinda new to this so what do you mean by sources and how do they work.