Install ubuntu 10.04 FROM iPhone 3gs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BlackBurningIce, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BlackBurningIce

BlackBurningIce New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Im not sure if this should go to a jailbreak thread or here so sorry if i posted in the wrong place.

Im on vacation and forgot to install ubuntu on my laptop before I left. I have no access to any blank media (cds, dvds, usbs, etc.). I found the USB storage utility for the iphone and created a 2gb partition (drive only mode). I then used unetbootin for windows to make a live boot from my iphone. I can boot fine into the screen where unetbootin asks me to select boot options (usually).

After that my phone begins to flash the charging symbol on and off and since it's set to vibrate it won't stop vibrating. the 'try before installing' option tells me that it keeps resetting the usb device and eventually it comes to a stop saying that live media cannot be found.

If I try installing from the ubuntu livecd options it does the same thing (keeps flashing charging symbol in corner and vibrating) and also stops at the same part saying it can't start for some reason. any fix for my problem?

I would prefer not to resort to booting from a virtual machine since I want full hardware support (graphics dont work fully for some reason in a VM). Thanks
  2. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I had the same problem with OpenSuse Gnome Live CD. The kernel and initrd loads fine, but then I get a bunch of IO buffer errors from the ehci driver module. It was not really important for me since I only needed the initrd containing the install program so I did not look into it any further. Strange thing is the ehci module works fine during normal operation. This problem only seems to appear when the iPhone is connected when the USB port is initialized or accessed during the boot. With TinyCore Linux I was able to disconnect the iPhone at the correct moment after the kernel and initrd were loaded and before the USB was accessed and everything went fine.
  3. BlackBurningIce

BlackBurningIce New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so is there anyway for ubuntu to work from it?