install iphone/touch2g apps on touch1g?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by chiefkeckers, Dec 6, 2008.

1. chiefkeckers

chiefkeckers New Member

i have tried searching and couldnt find any answer.

is there an hack in cydia/anywhere that lets you trick the appstore/itunes into thinking that you are using a different device, so that it will allow you to install certain apps. ie truphone.

any help greatly received.

ta

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. chiefkeckers

chiefkeckers New Member

still no ideas then? still cant find anything. to allow me to install iphone optimized apps.
  3. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have the same question as well. From prior postings that I searched through, it sounded like something that the Transformer app did would cause the App Store to think you were an iPhone, so I went looking for that, but it has apparently been PULLED by its author! Aaaaaargh.

Any other ways to do this? Does anyone know what specifically Transformer did to cause this to work? I'd be happy to apply it manually, if I knew step-by-step what files I needed to edit.

-- Nathan
  4. iSkate

iSkate Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The original 2.x transformer can be found here:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86914&highlight=transformer
    A beta is out right now, but it is only available to those who were accepted into the beta program by Nick
  5. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey, thanks! I knew about the beta, but I didn't realize that the file for the original version had been posted directly to these forums!

Unfortunately, although it mostly works (with the exception of the Phone and SMS icons, which never show up...also doesn't sound like an uncommon problem so I'll sort through that thread a bit more to see if the answer reveals itself), it doesn't seem to trick the App Store the way that I was hoping it would and the way that others suggested it did for them.

Any other ideas?

-- Nathan
  6. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You could find the IPA files of the apps you wanted, change the extension from .ipa to .zip, extract the files, go into the Payload folder you extracted, and SSH the *whatever*.app onto your iPod.

If you own the application, or already have it cracked, open iTunes, right click the app, and choose "Show in Finder" (Mac, not sure what the option is for Windows).

If you don't own the application, either buy it or use Google. Don't ask here, because you'll get warned and/or infracted.
  7. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey, great idea!! Why didn't I think of that?

Buy the app via iTunes instead of directly on the iPod, then DON'T bother trying to sync it to the iPod (since we know that won't work anyway) and simply copy it over manually. It's a bit of a pain in the butt (since it means that every time I want to install an app from the Store that isn't "sanctioned" to run on the 1st-gen Touch, I HAVE to have my computer with me), but at least it is an option.

I'll give that a shot and let you know how I fare!

-- Nathan
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Woot! That WORKED! I copied Griffin iTalk Recorder over to the iPod via SSH, put the .app folder into /Applications (because I wasn't quite sure how I was supposed to derive the UUID/GUID-looking thing in order to place it properly in /var/mobile/Applications), finally got the icon to show up on Springboard (more below on that...), launched it with my iVoice III plugged into the dock port, and managed to record an iTalk memo! Woo-hoo! Next up: Ocarina.

The only trouble that this method of installation presents is that, as pointed out earlier, a computer with iTunes on it is required to install the app (can't just install them from the App Store directly on a whim), updates can't happen through the App Store automatically, and the app won't get transferred from/to the iPod and your iTunes library (so you have to reinstall it manually again after a restore).

Also, I found that even with proper permissions on the app directory, the icon wouldn't appear in Springboard, even after a reboot or a respring using BossPrefs. Eventually, I discovered that I had to do something else to cause a Springboard state change (in my case, removing BossPrefs via Cydia), and then the icon showed up. Does anyone know an easier/quicker way than removing or installing another app through a more conventional means (Cydia, App Store) which would cause Springboard to rebuild its icon cache (or whatever you want to call it)? I read another thread that indicated you could force the issue by enabling Restrictions and then subsequently disabling them...I'll give that a shot next time. Still obnoxious, but less so.

So to all the doubters out there: with iPhone OS 2.2 on an iPod Touch 1G, all of the applications that the App Store won't allow us to install that require a microphone to use work just fine when used with a MacAlly iVoice III. Which means that functionality-wise, when combined with a "Made for iPod" dock connector microphone, the 1G Touch is on-par with the 2G, save for Nike+ (sure, the hardware volume control and built-in speaker are *nice*, but their absence doesn't prevent you from running certain applications). And if Apple and/or the developers of these apps would pull their collective heads out of their...*ahem*...a jailbreak wouldn't even be required to use them.

-- Nathan
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Update: Ocarina works great.

But the Restrictions icon reveal trick to get the icon to show up on Springboard after copying to /Applications didn't work. In fact, it took me quite a while to get it to show up. I tried all sorts of things, and eventually after several resprings, application removal and installations, permission and ownership tweaks, it just...showed up all of a sudden. It actually did so after I tried something that I didn't find I needed to do for any of the other apps that work just fine with other owner/group/permissions settings, most of which I had also tried on Ocarina. (In the end, changing owner to 'mobile' instead of 'root' was the last thing I tried on Ocarina before it showed up).

I also installed Erica Utilities and tried launching Ocarina from the command line before I got it to show up in Springboard, and that didn't work either. So it's not just a matter of Springboard not displaying it (as if it was Poofed or something), but it didn't even *know* about it at that point (so it didn't know which app bundle 'com.smule.Ocarina' was supposed to be mapped to). Now that the icon is on Springboard, command-line launch works on it.

So, what's a sure-fire way to force Springboard to enumerate all the new apps? How does Cydia do it for its own apps? I noticed the appLoad command that supposedly comes with Erica Utilities, but it appears to be MIA in the latest version (beta14).

-- Nathan