Install firmware without restoring.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jelinski619, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jelinski619

jelinski619 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My iPhone is synced with my computer and indeed iTunes at my home, however I am currently at my mothers house for a few days.

Is it possible to install the new firmware iOS4 without restoring because of the whole "You can only sync with one computer" thing?

Thanks
  2. jhon martan

jhon martan New Member

What you need to do is download the ipod touch 3.0 ipsw. your can find it by google searching. then restore using the ipsw file (hold down shift and right click on restore). then download redsn0w 0.8, run it and follow the on screen instructions. and there you go, a jailbroken ipod touch with 3.0

Please Register or Log in to view images

Note: when you download the ipsw make sure the you rename the .zip to .ipsw if needed.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The 3.0 jailbreak leaves your data alone. Back up anyway, just in case.
    Googling the subject provides a lot of comprehensive guides if you're interested, but it is pretty straightforward.
    A link to the 2.2.1 to 3.0 update is available in many of the aforementioned guides. Good luck!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    if the problem is you dont have the password, you will have to reset the device. Check there website, its fairly simple to do and will reset all the settings back to the defaults including the password