Install .DEB files from pc, without wifi?

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by clappboard, Aug 22, 2010.

1. clappboard

clappboard New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Hi im new to the forum, so bear with me. I am using an ipt 2g ios4, and dont have wifi at home or near my home but want to install ifile, so that i can then install other DEBs through it. I cant download it on my ipod via cydia or rock due to the lack of wifi. I did some googling though, and found a way to install .debs using the "/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall" method, but it wont work for me. ive tried and tried and tried respringing my device multiple times but it just wont autoinstall.
    I dont know if it means anything, but im using linux, so i didnt need to use something like iphone explorer, as ubuntu's file browser can open the media folder on the ipt. I followed the directions on a website, but when i created the 'AutoInstall' folder within the Cydia folder then tried to open it, i got an error "location not found", and the folder moved itself back to the /Media folder. Weird... Anyways I just made the folders on my desktop and dragged the whole package in (by package i mean the "/Cydia/AutoInstall" directory tree). I dont know if that is the problem because the package isnt part of the ipods filesystem or something)

Any and all input appreciated.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    If you have the ability to use Windows, look up something called Cyder 2 to help.
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i know the problem, after you go into /var/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall/ place the .deb file and then exit. then REBOOT your ipt AND respring