Insanely slow syncs on new computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by finaljump, Nov 26, 2009.

1. finaljump

finaljump New Member

Hi, all. Sorry if this has come up before, but I'm having an issue with syncs on my new laptop. On my old systems, it would take only a short bit of time to move new songs to my 1st generation Touch. With the new system, which has four times the RAM and twice the processing power, it takes forever, at least 2 minutes just as to when it has to move one song.
    I've tried everything but resetting the entire iPod. I've switched cables, switched ports, downgraded from iTunes 64-bit to 32-bit, and even restored from a backup on a different computer. The new system in authorized on my account, and I've even told the system to set the iPod up as a new iPod whenever it asks.
    I don't think it's while moving the songs that the lag really occurs (although they do take about 10-30 seconds each, which seems longer than on the old system), but during the ambiguous syncing period, where all it says is "Syncing [Your iPod Name Here]". It just lags, and when I unhook the iPod and open Music, it takes another 30 seconds to two minutes for it to finish "Updating [the] Music Library."
    What am I missing? Do I just need to break down, have the iPod erase all content and settings, and start from scratch? I hate to do it and want it to be my last resort, which is why I came here to look for advise first. Any help or ideas will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    What firmware are you on?
  3. dong1225

dong1225 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It might be your computer but I feel that it's most likely your iPod.
    Have you tried comletely restoring (Different from resetting on your iPod) on your iTunes?
  4. finaljump

finaljump New Member

Firmware is 3.1.2.
    As for restoring, I have, but there was an issue. When I first tried using the iPod with this laptop, iTunes took forever to transfer a song. I'm talking like three minutes for one song. I cancelled it, and it caused the iPod to crash. The laptop tried doing a restore of the iPod, but, because it didn't have the apps downloaded on the laptop, it failed. It also said the restore couldn't happen because the iPod had timed out. I was doing this at work, so I wasn't connected to the Internet, which is why the laptop didn't just download the apps. When I got home, I restored the iPod using my home desktop, and everything was fine on the connection between iPod and desktop. The restore finished fairly quickly and the iPod was just like it was two weeks before when I'd last synced on that machine.
    I haven't tried restoring off the laptop since then for fear of it pulling the exact same deal.
  5. K1nGG

K1nGG New Member

try closing everything but itunes when syncing?
  6. finaljump

finaljump New Member

I could understand trying that on an older system, but a new laptop that was just about top to the line (three weeks ago, at least) should be able to handle something the older laptop (made three and a half years ago) did when it was running various applications and background processes. (Edit: Oh, but I did try having iTunes as the only thing open during one of my attempts at syncing and it did the same thing.)
    I will say that yesterday, it synced somewhat better and somewhat worse. I tried syncing stuff to it, a couple of movies and some songs. When I was getting rid of songs to make room for the movies, it screwed up twice, giving an error -6999 then and error -48, saying the iPod couldn't be synced. When I unplugged the iPod and plugged it back in, it asked if I wanted to restore or make it a new iPod. I chose new each time, and it took a while to verify the iPod. After the second crash, I started loading the films onto the iPod and it worked fine. It took a reasonable amount of time to load them and the new songs on there, but finished with no problems.
    I don't believe the problem is solved, especially with the error codes, but it seems like progress.
  7. xX_Dog_Food_Xx

xX_Dog_Food_Xx New Member

Device:
    iPad
    how much space do you have filled up on your iPod? i found that when i use up like 8 gigs (Usb Drive) the backup process and sync is slow on a mac with 2 GB of RAM...
  8. finaljump

finaljump New Member

It's almost completely full. It's using like 14 of the available 14.46 gigs of space.
    However, once again, that wasn't an issue on the older system, so I don't see why it would be a problem on the newer system.
  9. effectsdude79

effectsdude79 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    does it sync ok with other computers?
  10. finaljump

finaljump New Member

Yes, I can still sync it with the older, dying laptop and with the desktop I have with no problems.