input jack going bad

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dogman, Dec 21, 2007.

1. dogman

dogman New Member

my left channel keeps cutting out...

i thought it was my headphones - this is common with sony "street style" headphones after owning for a long time - this is how they die. but i tried brand new headphones and realized that its the device.

i should add... when the jack is not moving i get perfect sound. but when it starts to rotate i get static and crackling and in some positions the left channel is completely gone. this can be really annoying when the thing is in your pocket and you're walking around. for now, i can keep readjusting it, but this is a problem.

what can i do ? am i screwed? i've had the thing since the first day of release.
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I think Apple warranty is 90 days, better send it in quick. Unless you bought the extended warranty. If you are passed 90 days, you can send it to Apple to fix, but they charge $80.00/hour. I bet they could have it fixed in half an hour. Would at least be better than having to buy a new one. Good luck.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, I just looked at my iPod Touch Important Product Information Guide, and it says one year - take it back and get 'em to fix it...
  4. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

It's most likely just dust in the jack, try blowing it out with an air jet. If that doesn't work, it might be corrosion, which isn't covered by Apple warranty, but it could also be caused by a faulty jack, which is covered. I doubt it's corrosion b/c it's not all that old.
  5. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Make sure you don't blow into it with your mouth, because that can cause more problems.

(The spit from blowing into conducts electricity, which can help in the short term, but in the long term it will cause corrosion.)
  6. dogman

dogman New Member

i tried the air-can method and it didn't help.

i went to the apple store today and it was a zoo. the stand-by wait was like 141 minutes. one guy did test it out for me and agreed the jack is bad. but he had a really hard time explaining the "genius bar" process and it was really pissing me off. i just wanted to know what needed to be done and whether i would simply get a new one.

i left the store with no answers but decided to go back in and talk to someone else. another guy was a bit more helpful, and had me sign up for an appointment (next free appointment was in 2 days which sucks!) he implied that i'd probably just get a new one but couldn't say for sure.

anything less than a brand new one is going to piss me off. this is my second one already after the black screen issue when i got my first one in september.
  7. dogman

dogman New Member

ok, so i had my "genius" appointment today. they quickly agreed that the jack was hosed and gave me a replacement. i was told to keep my box and accessories - they just replace the unit which comes in a plain white box. apparently they have "new" units that are made specifically for warranty covered failures.

everything is good now - working properly. no black screen issue (thankfully). and get this - my neighbor's wifi connection is now working - it never worked in the past. (my home network is all wired) i had a successful connection at panera bread but for some reason my neighbor's signal never allowed me to connect to the internet. now its working. did my neighbor change something or was there a problem with my old unit ?? weird.
  8. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm glad you got it replaced. More than likely it was just the old DNS problem that kept you from connecting in the past.