Inkling and other educational software

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tsubame, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What do people think of the recent launch of Inkling (www.inkling.com), which presumably will be a platform for education and textbook resources, if publishers start using it? For people not familiar, it's basically a software suite that proposes to provide interactive textbooks on the iPad, along with social media connectivity (you can 'friend' people, and any notes they make in the margins of the same textbook you are reading will be posted there for you to see)

I think, assuming publishers adopt it (big if), it could be really revolutionary for the education market, and one of the best examples of what the iPad should be used for.

Does anyone else have ideas for how it could be used in that market? Not to steal any ideas you may be cooking up to develop for yourself, you can keep those secret.
  2. captainaids

captainaids New Member

This is exactly what I had in mind thinking about ipad as education supporting device. This company is going to be one of many. ipad will cave the way for tabblets, lots of people will have one anyway so why not use it for school? By the looks of it inkling is focussing on iphone/ipad, but ipad is not going to be the only widespread tablet for long. I bet publishers will create something more universal for tablet devices, interactive ebooks or something.
  3. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Inkling spread to more devices as they become available, but since the iPad is pretty unique right now, you'll see lots of companies starting out there and then migrating to the other devices later.

Much like app developers on the iPhone making Android stuff now.
  4. stillercity

stillercity New Member

Sounds awesome to me. I really like the thought of textbooks on the iPad. Things like Find, Videos, and Links are really intriguing and something educational materials have needed in today's technology.