Initial jailbreak deletes everything?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by sonus, Apr 1, 2009.

1. sonus

sonus New Member

I'm about to jailbreak my 2G iPod Touch for the first time. I'm assuming it will delete all the apps and music that I've got on there now, is that right?

The real question is, can it be backed up and restored after the jailbreak? I've got XpenseIt installed to do expense tracking, and it's got a bunch of records entered. Is there a way to back that data up, or will it be unrecoverable after jailbreaking?
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can't backup your apps, but you can back up things like your Settings, Contacts, Photos, etc.
  3. DarkAura17

DarkAura17 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    yeah it deletes everything, but you get a lot of good stuff out of it.
  4. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah. Game save data, photos, notes, settings are backde up in iTunes. Then you sync all ur stuff back on like songs and apps. Bingo!
  5. Ranko95

Ranko95 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can just resync it. And theres this cool thing on cydia that will sorta back up your cydia apps too. Its called aptbackup
  6. sonus

sonus New Member

Oh, alright, that doesn't sound as bad as I thought then. It sounds like the data associated with apps (the stuff that they generate and save) will be restored with a simple Sync from iTunes? That's not a problem.

I can re-download the apps, I suppose. Oh, except the ones I purchased, what about those? Do I have to re-buy them?

EDIT: I just realized there were conflicting opinions. One person said apps are in iTunes and will come back with a sync, another person said the apps aren't backed up. So, how does it actually work?

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. peddyt

peddyt New Member

Apps aren't backed up (technically), they are synced. Make sure all your apps are in the 'applications' section in iTunes.
  8. litobro

litobro Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The settings are backed up, but jailbroken applications from cydia are not.
  9. Xandan

Xandan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Kinda irrelevant seeing as its his/her first time..
  10. sonus

sonus New Member

So, if I plug in my (unjailbroken) iPod Touch, click sync, then jailbreak it, and click sync again, which of these will be restored?

- Apps?
    - App data?
    - Both?

And, to be clear, will restoring from a "backup" (not a sync) overwrite the jailbreak?

Sorry if I'm being slow. It seems like Apple hasn't made it any easier by having two different functions (sync and backup) that do very similar things

Please Register or Log in to view images