Inifinite Loop after restart

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by newfan_1234, Apr 11, 2008.

1. newfan_1234

newfan_1234 New Member

Hello everyone.

I have a OOB 1.1.4 (with software updates) ipod touch
    Jailbroken using ZiPhone 3.0 on windows XP

every thing goes off fine. And the touch works flawlessly..for a while.

I installed
    Summerboard
    Flashlight
    Lighthttp

above and beyond what is installed with ZiPhone

I modified the lighthttp.conf file and restarted the touch and I end up Seeing the Edit Home Screen dialog - over and over and over again - as described in this thread - http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10511. So I decided to follow the advice given, unfortunately it does not apply to the 1.1.4 Firmware.

This same thing has happened a few times before but I wasn't paying real close attention to what was installed and in what order. I can restore to factory settings and re-jailbreak without any problems - but it always seems to end up in the infinite loop at some point.

I still have SSH access to the device.

I can't seem to be able to find any relevant info for this issue on 1.1.4

thanks
  2. Redshift

Redshift New Member

Try restoring using DFU mode instead.
  3. newfan_1234

newfan_1234 New Member

one thing I forgot to mention is that I changed the root password using the passwd utility that comes with the BSD Subsystem.

According to a couple of other posts I found when I started searching on KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE - which is what shows up in the logs - it seems that the passwd utility is incompatible with 1.1.4 - so I am in the process of restoring and re-jailbreaking and this time I won't change the password - I'll just install the Services app that lets me shut off SSH when I'm not using it.

any other suggestions? since I really don't like leaving default passwords...
    1 person likes this.
  4. Marcus1790

Marcus1790 New Member

I changed the root password of my JB 1.1.4 iPod touch using SSH and passwd, after a restart it went through an infinite loop of restarting. It sounds like we have the same problem.

In the end I had to do a restore and install all of those apps again : (
  5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    That's why it gives you the warning not to do it when you install!
  6. hiflyer

hiflyer Guest

If you need to change your passwork, install cydia and the mobile terminal. You can change your password with no trouble.
  7. grimmed

grimmed New Member

Hi,

I must sadly admint, I have the same problem right now. Had it before, though, I restored mt iPod.

Right now I managed to get it again, though, trying things out to solve this annoying error.

Currently attanting re-jailbreacking the iPod...
    edit: normal jailbreak did not work (iLiberty+) Attanding to reïnstall the openSSH because I couldn't SSH into my iPod during this loop... hoping there might be a reset default setting services anywhere

Please Register or Log in to view images

Edit again: that doesn't work aswell..

Getting that other jailbreaking program..
  8. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    All you have to do is follow one of the guides we have written and you won't have any problems. You aren't finished just because you hit the jailbreak button on ziphone or whatever else you use.
  9. grimmed

grimmed New Member

You shouldn't thing I'm nubish my friend. I did all of that I got this whyle syncing my iPod.
    The jailbroken 1.1.4 is highly unstable..
  10. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You are very wrong and I never made any comments about anyone being a noob. I can't even count the number of jailbreaks I have done or talked people through without any issues. A lot of time and testing went into the guides and they work perfectly. 1.1.4 is VERY stable if done properly.