iOS 3.1 [Information] The new bootrom in 3G[S].

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by superrob, Oct 14, 2009.

1. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    As today (14. october 2009) the news of a new bootrom in the 3G popped up. Which as current looks like its "Jailbreak resistent".

I think its time to place all the information that may answer your questions about it. Bear in mind if i got something totaly wrong.

First of all this is a update to the 3G bootrom. The bootrom is the first code that runs when you start the iPhone. Its ALLWAYS there and CANNOT ever be changed after its programmed on the chip using hardware then it is there and will not be changeable. ROM = Read Only Memory.

Its suposed that this new update kills the 24kpwn exploit that allowed the bootrom to start the LLB (which is the code that runs just after the bootrom) even though the LLB is modified.

Regardless of what the iPhone 3G IS AND WILL be jailbreak able just like the others, BUT if youre like me one of the early iPod Touch 2nd gen owners you know about the first "tethered" jailbreak.

Basicly the deal was that when the code was modified in order to run on a modified system the device wouldn't be able to boot becourse the bootrom would see the modification and just be like "no way im gonna boot that".

Well the deal is that IT IS still jailbreak able. BUT until a new exploit is found we will need to wait for a tethered jailbreak (basicly the current jailbreak just with the LLB and iBoot left unmodified), just like with the iPod Touch 3G. And then a dongle or computer would be needed on every boot.

Hope this answers some of your questions you may have.

Lets hope that this new bootrom gets dumped soon and hopefully will lead to some answers

Please Register or Log in to view images

The basics of the bootrom
    The bootrom contains iBoot which is the first code that runs when you press the power button. The bootrom can only do two things. It can either enter DFU mode and accept getting sent a LLB file to start with an upgrade, restore, etc.
    It can also load, signerature check and boot an LLB from the NOR. Thats about it. The vital part of this is that the bootrom can never be changed and that it is the first code that runs. This means that this is the part that decides whenever to allow the iPhone to boot up or not. It will signerature check the LLB and if it sees any modification then it goes into DFU mode instead.

Thats the reason why a exploit able hole is so fatal. If you have a exploited hole in it well then that device will allways be able to boot anything you send it. If not.. well youll propperly guess only accept 100% propperly signed LLB's
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's funny of Apple to just run these out.... Why don't they do it for iPod's?

I guess they'd lose money over unlocked iPhones and that... But still...
    Weird.
  3. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    the new ipods allready contains a new kind of security.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Don't be so sure that they'll find a new exploit... sure they'll be looking and we hope they do but there's never any guarantee...
  5. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yea. I didn't write anywhere "THEY WILL FIND IT" but that we still have our jailbreaking just not untethered.
  6. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Good explanation of what a bootrom update does, thanks, it makes more sense to me now ;D
  7. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hah thanks

Glad to hear it helps

------------------double post merged------------------
    Added more basic info on the bootrom

8. flubby33

flubby33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ?
    Really?
    Because I'm getting a new iPod Touch 32GB and I thought a tethered JB is possible with blackra1n...
  9. acbluflame

acbluflame New Member

• Stupid troll
    [edit]
    I troll people.
  10. Mz8691

Mz8691 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sir, thats not necessary to say. but anyways, The new Blackr!an Can JB IPT3G.

, coming out tomorrow.