inewsgroup?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by edisonho1990, Dec 12, 2007.

1. edisonho1990

edisonho1990 New Member

i recently installed a new program called inewsgroup, and i'm unsure wat it actually does....anyone know? and how to use it? thanks
  2. dtzWill

dtzWill New Member

Well I'm the author.... so I can give you a pretty good idea what it does.

It's a nntp client--it's used primarily to access Usenet.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

You can find many free usenet servers, give it a google search. I know people use it on

http://news.motzarella.org/

It can also be used to access any newsgroup server, in particular servers like
    http://news.gmane.org/
    This server is used to access mailing lists in newsgroup format.

The app has come a long way since your post in October--see http://inewsgroup.googlecode.com.

Let me know if you have any more questions, you can reach me at inewsgroupdev@gmail.com .

Take care
    ~Will Dietz
  3. herve5

herve5 New Member

a big concern with iNewsgroup is that for the moment, the newsgroup list that it shows for you to select the ones to show, is definitely unusable with any ordinary ISP newsgroup list. Now I see this was just for this specific use of connecting to a small-list, dedicated newsserver I understand better

Please Register or Log in to view images

I installed iNewsgroup and fed him with my ordinary usenet server: the result was

1) iNewsgroup downloads the full list upon startup without asking: this behavior for a normal newsreader should happen only upon command, quite rarely, and with a warning that it may be long --there are 47558 newsgroup on my ISP's, this kind of figure is common. In no case a newsreader should systematically redownload the full newsgroup list upon startup

2) the list once downloaded is presented in a picker, for the user to select which newsgroup he wants: the picker has no alphabetic sorter in the right (a la Contacts); this means that if the ng you want is alphabetically in the middle of the list, it is just unreachable --really: I tried. I abandoned when all my falimy laughed seeing me waving my finger for 10 mn, and I wasn't out of the alt.x hierarchy yet: first letter out of 26.

I know two other persons that have tried iNewsgroup and deleted it just for this reason.

I suggest that you, the developper, should warn about this limitation on your site in order to avoid disappointment, and (if I dare) consider turning the systematic list download to something optional, and, well, adding a better picker ;-)

When you have this, you'll see lots of users coming to ask more, like the ability to see the first line of a post in list mode, possible alternate presentations, tree-like or at least tabbed, filters, etc. But before, I fear you'll just get no comments...

Maybe now you are terribly vexed, I hope not... In any case: good luck, sincerely. I'm personally totally unable to do 1% of what you already did

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. dtzWill

dtzWill New Member

Responding much later, since I just re-stumbled upon this thread...

I understand your concern and these issues are addressed best I can in the next coming release (for 2.0, etc). It should also be much faster. As you correctly guessed the app was primarily written and used for a private nntp server, which is why some of those issues weren't given the attention they deserved immediately.

And of course I'm not vexed--constructive criticism is always rather welcome.

Regarding your exact issues:

This is addressed by never requesting the full list on startup---but only when you go to edit the 'subscription manager', for now anyway. Eventually it's on my todo to use the stored list of server groups, and only refresh upon request--but even only loading it when changing the groups you're subscribed to I think greatly fixes this problem, particularly since loading that many groups generally made the app unusable.

To be fair there are a /lot/ of alt.* groups ;-). But you make a good point, and I'm sorry about your experience. The app introduced a searching feature back on 1.1.4 (or 1.*, anyway) that seemed to help most people that discussed the issue with me.

And I apologize if you felt cheated, disappointed, or that a warning was necessary to prepare you for it. It's not trivial writing such an app, but I don't mean to make excuses. It's a WIP and I kinda feel it's free so you get what you pay for. That said, I *am* rather saddened that you didn't find it worthwhile, and would love to change that.

The first line of a post idea I already have in the works--but the way nntp works, when you 'enter' a group you just get the headers--and actually requesting the contents (even just the first line) of the body for all of 'em is a VERY expensive operation--and so in combination with a new smart caching system I'm hoping to populate it with the first line on articles you've read--and if I'm feeling ambitious load them in the background. But probably not that last one as my time seems limited of late.

I'm working on making the threading 'tree' like instead of just 2 levels which many people (myself included) found to be insufficient and confusing.

So yep, thanks for your feedback... and sorry for the *crazy* late response.

If you're interested in knowing when iNewsgroup comes out for 2.0, feel free to star this issue: http://code.google.com/p/inewsgroup/issues/detail?id=56 so you can be notified of it when I make a release.

If you have any other ideas in how to make this application great, useful, etc, I'd love to hear about it. Either makes issues on the google code website (linked above) or email me at inewsgroupdev@gmail.com .

If you're interested I can also add you to my testers and send you beta builds. Let me know if you're interested.