Increase ram

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by that_guy, Jul 6, 2010.

1. that_guy

that_guy New Member

I was playing a game (football manager 10) and suddenly it said to turn my iPod off and back on as there wasn't enough memory to play the game- in confused cos it hasn't happened to me before so I wasn't sure if this "memory" was ram or actualy memory as in gigabytes that come with the iPod. Last time I checked i had around 4 gigabytes of space so there is no way I am low on memory. Trusting that it is ram how would I free up the ram?
  2. SPGreenawalt

SPGreenawalt Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ram would be the problem here if you searched forums you would fine 80 threads similar to this and us answering with same things iMemoryEnchancer on cydia would work if you jailbreaked your iPod/iPhone, IF you havnt look for apps from appstore that can free ram download it free ram with it and then play your game.
  3. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Memory = RAM

It's asking you to restart because RAM needs to have power to hold what's in it. So switching off will clear the RAM.

There are apps in Cydia that will add "virtual RAM" but I wouldn't recommend it because they work by writing/reading to/from the NAND chip (where the OS, your apps, your music, etc is) which is slower than RAM.
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    It actually kills your NAND chip over time by over-killing it with read/writes. Regular read/writes are fine, but doing it too many times = kill your NAND faster.

As for how long it takes, it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to well, mine hasn't died yet, and I've had it for about two months. My old iPod had it for about 5, then the home button broke. If you decide to use it, just don't multitask too much (6+ apps open at once).