Increase iPod Touch Range?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TimHyland, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TimHyland

TimHyland New Member

Hi everybody
    I've included diagrams because I am bad at explaining situations!

I live in Jefferson City, Missouri so I can pick up any necessary equipment fairly easy.

OK, the story is basically that I have a working WiFi wireless network in the house that can be accessed inside and outside the house. However, in my granny's house next door, it can be detected outside, but once inside the thick walls it cannot be detected. Here is a diagram of ow the situation is

Please Register or Log in to view images

The large house on the right is ours, the small one being my Granny's.
    Blue = Router
    Black = My computer

Now I know what you are thinking. The obvious answer is to move the router to somewhere like my computer. But that would be complicated as the router is connected to my dad's computer, and we would have to reconfigure the internet again if we moved my computer to a direct connection and dad's to a wireless connection.
    Does anybody have any suggestions? I looked at the guides for setting up an adhoc network but as far as I know it only works if you have a direct connection to the internet - I am connected wirelessly therefore I think I am unable to set up another wireless network from that. Maybe I'm wrong

If anyone has any suggestions I would be really grateful. This may seem like a newbie question but it's not really - I do have a good knowledge of computers, but the only solutions I know of are wireless repeaters, but that seems a bit major for such a short distance. As you can see from the diagram, the wireless comes really close, but going into the house eliminates it from range

Thanks in advance!
    Tim
  2. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Just get A Wireless Router, but make sure its Powerfull enough to cover a whole building and you can go 3 houses down and still use it, or you can just stay by a window, or stay in the cold, Sacrifices have to be made! well not really.
  3. bubs58

bubs58 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    buy a range booster i think they can boost it but i have NO idea how they work
  4. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes that's what I meant, sorry I didn't Specify
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

There are two things you can do:

1. Buy a range-boosting antenna. Something like the Cantenna for directional boosting, or an omnidirectional booster for all over coverage. Directional has the advantage of being able to throw your WiFi signal across much longer distances -- but it can only do it in one direction. An omnidirectional booster will throw the WiFi signal in all directions, but its range is much more limited than a directional antenna because it has to throw the same amount of power everywhere instead of concentrating it on one direction. Which one you choose depends on what you want to do. If you want to give your neighbor access to your WiFi connection, get a directional antenna and point it at their house. If you just want to expand the general range of your signal, get an omnidirectional.

2. Buy a WiFi repeater. Repeaters are external modules that catch your WiFi signal, boost it, and then send it continuing on its way with a stronger signal. A repeater acts like an intermediary, and is ideally placed somewhere between your router and the place you want your signal to go. For example, buy two repeaters, place one in a window of your house facing your neighbor, then another in your neighbor's window facing your repeater. They'll get a signal just as strong as if the router was in their house.
  6. Lensflare

Lensflare New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I built a cantenna out of a Pringles can for a science project... but the problem is that I don't have a tripod mount for it...

Anyways, I don't think the iPod touch can connect ot Ad Hoc networks....right? If not, I'm pretty sure you can (using Windows XP or Vista) create a Wireless network using the wizard, and set your computer to being indirectly connected to the internet.

I had my router configured to my desktop, but the time came when I had to take it off the 5 year old clunker. So I used my laptop and a lot of configuring to set all my settings so that the router was connected to the modem and the modem only. I'm sure it can't be that hard, though...