Incompatible battery charger (1G vs 3G)?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipodbaracuda, Oct 4, 2009.

1. ipodbaracuda

ipodbaracuda New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The battery charger I bought for my iPod Tough 1G does not work for my 3G Touch. The 3G prompts me that “this battery charger is incompatible with this device”. There are no compatibility issues using any other Apple charging devices. The battery I have is a generic USB rechargeable (3400mAh, In:5V, Out: 5.5V) that came with 10 different adapters including iPod connector. I have not had any problems with my 1G.

Has anybody experienced the same issue? What changes has Apple made in the 3G? Is it possible to modify the iPod adapter to make it work?
  2. daku

daku Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maybe the Charging Adapter You own uses the Firewire Pins of the Dock! I think that the 3G cannot be charged via the Firewire Pins, but the 1G could!

Correct me if I'm wrong!
  3. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, Thats pretty obvious that it is not a "made for iPod" product. Anyways, From 2nd Generation Apple has been inserting a security chip in iPod and accesories so it recognizes if its really accessory.... If not you have to wait for a jailbreak then its possible by messing with files in iPod.... Its pretty simply but until jailbreak comes i am afraid there isn't.

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Its not that! you are right at a point... BUt not completely..!

Firewire pins are really old and i doubt he's got that adapter....!
  4. cainy

cainy New Member

1st Gen did charge over USB and Firewire, the 2nd/3rd Gens dont, so it looks like your charger uses the firewire pins on the dock connector not the usb ones...if thats the way it works, either way got the same message on my sisters nano when I plugged my APPLE firewire charger into it.....in short you need a new charger

5. Shukketsu.Azuguad

Shukketsu.Azuguad Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I bought a backup battery from RadioShack [Lenmar PPU2100B] about two years ago, which came with a charge cable with multiple tips, which works with my 1st gen, but not the third gen. Last June [2009], I decided to buy another backup batter [Lenmar PPU2100B], and it came with another charge cable. That cables works with both ipods, and my ipod classic.

Fact is, that first cable used a different charging style than the second one.
  6. ipodbaracuda

ipodbaracuda New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for all replies.

This sounds both odd and interesting. My charger is very similar to the [Lenmar PPU2100B] but a different brand. I checked the datasheet for the [Lenmar PPU2100B] and it clearly states that iPhone 3GS and iTouch 3G is not supported. If the new tip does work, it would indicate that there is no chip used to commuicate/validate "approved" accesories.

Is the new tip easy to open up and look inside to see the difference from the old tip? The iPod tip to my charger uses 4 pins (4,6,8 and 15) with four small resistors (I cannot read the values).

Btw, does anybody know where I can find the whole specification of the pins on the iPod connector?

I am determined to get my battery to work on my new iTouch 3G.
  7. Shukketsu.Azuguad

Shukketsu.Azuguad Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I use my PPU2100B at least once a week to charge my ipod touch 3rd gen. I should be getting a used iphone [original] tomorrow, so I'll take some photos or something. Can't promise though.

Regarding the cable, it also works with my 120gb ipod classic. So, it it works with what I have so far. And with my backup battery, it can also use the official apple sync cable, which the one I use is the older one from my 30gb classic works with the 3rd gen ipod touch, and 120gb classic.
  8. dungvlkt

dungvlkt New Member

i want to know pins of dock connector ipod?
  9. cipherblaze

cipherblaze New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Solution:

griffintechnology.com/products/firewire-to-usb-converter

This will help you my friend.
  10. ipodbaracuda

ipodbaracuda New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the information cipherblaze. The Griffin Charge Converter explains the compatibility issues. But when I look at closer at this device it is not a solution for me. It seems that the width of the converter will cover my headphone jack. My primary use for a battery pack is when I travel and I always use my headphones. And $30 for this device is a bit overkill for routing a couple of signals.

So, the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G uses the USB and not Firewire to charge the device. What I do not understand is why I cannot use my USB battery charger with a standard iPod USB cable? The Apple power supplies with USB connector works just fine with the standard cable. There seems to be some extra signal mechanism between the charger and the iPod. It seems that the power supply with USB connector applies voltage on the USB data lines (apprx 2.5 VDC). I do not think my battery pack does this. I will try to modify the battery pack to put some voltage on the data lines to see if I can get it to work.