Inaccurate capacity?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wlkrofplnes, Jun 10, 2010.

1. wlkrofplnes

wlkrofplnes New Member

I have a 64 GB but it says my capacity is only 59.42 gb. I mean I know I've downloaded extras from apps and Cydia, but wouldn't that show up in "Other" in iTunes? So, wheres the other 4 GB?
  2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

It always shows that for some reason, mine is the same way don't worry about it.
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    It is normal. Flash Memory and even hard drives use memory to function properly. Otherwise, you'd be left with 64GB of memory, but you can't use any of it. LOL. And the other is taken up by jailbreak tweaks/apps and the OS itself.
  4. Soutar_3DG

Soutar_3DG Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    and the fact that the 64GB is caculated using 1000 bytes in a kilobyte whereas the computer uses 1024 bytes in a kilobyte meaning the real space and the advertised space is different.
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Some of it, per hard drive manufacturer pages and Apple, is not really there due to the way 1GB = 1000 MB Is how capacities are measured but not how it works (which means you're not getting a full 64 gigs with a 64GB drive, but 62.5 gb) and then the space used by the OS, swap space, and the file allocation tables so the OS knows where to find things.