iPhone 3GS In My Situation is the 3GS Worth It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by d00m42, Jul 6, 2009.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Well I'm having stupid issues with AT&T, they're telling me because my iPhone 3G was moved onto a family plan when I relocated from NY to FL (even though I got it July 22, 2008 in NY) that because it only costs $10 for the extra line and $30 for the data per month I do not qualify for the iPhone 3GS upgrade at the lowered price. This is INCREDIBLY stupid and I was actually promised by two customer service reps who explicitly told me they WROTE DOWN in the account notes the fact that after a few weeks of issues and arguement AT&T finally agreed to give me the upgrade. Despite all of these efforts, they are still bullsh*tting me.

I am left with two realistic options assuming AT&T doesn't pull through (I wish):

1: Keep my iPhone 3G, maybe get the next iPhone down the road at the lowered pricing (assuming I'm still with AT&T). In this case I don't know if I'd use JB as often because I am finding that there is too much of a sacrifice in performace on the normal 3G for things like emulators and other apps.

2: Get the iPhone 3GS for the $500 early upgrade price (32 GB black), and sell my old 3G (16 GB black) unlocked and JB'd on eBay for a nice cut of the $500 back (I'd expect $300-$400 or so). I currently have a summer job and am also doing a few freelance word of mouth jobs for people who need any tech stuff (computers fixed, networks set up etc), so the extra $100-$200 is there but I don't like spending too much money (even though it's been a while since I have, last thing was probably $300 spent on an MSI Wind U100 netbook a number of months ago, so worth it especially cause I got $150 of the money as a gift; it's essentially a MacBook Nano with OS X on it and a few hardware mods for near 100% perfection).

What are your thoughts everyone? Is the upgrade worth it? For me, the new features are kind of dinky yet fairly useful (upgraded camera, video); it's more the 32 GB of space and more raw power that I'm after. I'd love to be able to run emulators at full speed as well as have an overall quicker and smoother phone. I just feel like JB + 3GS would be pretty crazy. I've heard that some of the devices overheat and have sucky battery life, but I think they've fixed some of that with later week revisions.

I just don't know if I'd like another 2 year contract with AT&T :/
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You don't have to worry about your 3GS slowing down when you jailbreak. At the most, it will only have a tiny amount of lag. Even with the lag it would be faster than a 2G touch.

You should wait a few month or so and see if you can get a cheaper 3GS.
  3. d00m42

d00m42 Member

The issue is I don't want Apple to patch the iBoot exploit before I can get my EICD and IBSS/IBEC files from the 3GS. If I get the phone AFTER this happens then I may be screwed for a while. I am not worried about the 3GS slowing down, but with my current 3G there is a noticable decrease in performance.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Any other opinions? Either I get the phone by the end of this week, whether AT&T understands they broke their end of my phone contract by lying about resolutions or not, or I don't get a new phone for a long time. My current 3G is ok, but has a few weird issues, and I actually think the 1 year original Apple Care expires in like 2.5 weeks.

-Battery has less capacity and therefore doesn't last super long (kinda expected with frequent use and charging over a year though)
    -Sometimes tells me there is no SIM inserted or service bars are VERY low (not because of an actual lack of service, because others with AT&T and even iPhones near me had service every time). This is the main issue because it defeats the purpose of the phone. And no, I have never tried any unlocking or hacktivation.

It isn't 100% necessary, but it would be very nice to have, and solve these problems. I might try a full DFU restore in case that solves my weird SIM issue, but the battery is not looking too good... With just 3G on at lowest screen brightness (with moderate usage, ex. a few calls/texts/emails and maybe a little music) I'm down to below half for sure, and it doesn't take long to die completely.
    Anyone? : (

This is kind of time sensitive, as I most likely have to make the decision by the end of this week to avoid Apple's possible patching of the ability to get the EICD/iBSS/iBEC. It really just comes down to:

Is it worth it to pay $200 extra (I have it but there's no reason to blow it randomly) to have 32 GB of space (I need that badly), and a faster phone with the new features (assuming I'll JB)? Remember there's the new 2 year agreement, but then again I most likely would keep with AT&T unless my family decides to change anyways... Also remember that I'll most likely sell my 16 GB 3G unlocked for $300-$400 or so, $300 of which id give back to my parents for supplying me with it during the time of the phone's purchase. They pay for my contract so it's really just $200 for me, and I do have a summer job (and as I mentioned I do freelance tech/comp jobs and get paid as much as $100 per job if it's only 2-3 hours even).
  4. AllyOmega

AllyOmega New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd say it's worth it if you've got the money. If you need the money for something else, you should definitely save it. However, it seems like you've got the $$$ so I say go for it.
  5. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Yea I mean between my job and the computers I've been fixing I have enough to cover the $200 margin (I'd make the $300+ off selling my old phone).

I guess I'll go through with it (waiting first to see if AT&T will return my call), unless Apple does some crazy update that messes JB and everything else up in the next 2-3 days...

Thanks for the input guys!
    WOW This is the first thing AT&T has done rationally-- they realized that my family has other lines and spends way more than any regular individual even on an unlimited iPhone plan, and decided to give me the upgrade at $300 for the 32 GB 3GS.

Going to pick it up later today

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. d00m42

d00m42 Member

sh*t this thing is fast...