In-Ear Headphone Recommendations? (plus reviews of ones i've tried!)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sdschramm, Dec 28, 2008.

1. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, I need some recommendations on a pair of in ear headphones.

(THE COLORS BELOW SEPARATE EACH "REVIEW")

For Christmas, I got myself the new Apple In-Ear Headphones as they looked to be pretty good (spec wise, etc) I was so excited for these things but was disappointed after hearing them. Almost NO bass (even with the dual drivers that is supposed to have a separate woofer that should be better) They did fit nice, and the remote would have been nice if it worked with my 1st gen iPod touch.

So after trying them, I saw that Radio Shack had the V-MODA "bass freq's" on sale and a friend of mine had them and said that they where good. So I bought them and gave them a try. Bass was definitely better then the Apple In-Ears, but the highs where distorted and sounded "metallic" (which I read is a common point that most people notice when reviewing these.) So I'm not too happy with these either. Fit was ok, but not as good as the Apple In ears.

Then, I unexpectedly got ANOTHER set of headphones from a family member for Christmas. They knew nothing about headphones, and just (for once) thought of me, went to walmart and randomly picked a set. After see what they where, I was laughing in my head thinking "wow, I bet these are gonna sound cheap - there's no way these things could be better then the more expensive ones I have now" They a set of JVC "marshmallows" (model: HA-FX34) so I give them a try and WOW, it was unbelievable. The bass is perfect. Probably a little to much for the audiofile, but for me it is great. The mids are fair, but the high needed a big boost. I read there is a "mod" you can do to these that will make them sound "brighter" but I don't think I want that. The only other thing about these is the fit. Unlike the Apple In-ears or the V-MODA's - these do not come with 3 different kinds of tips. Instead they only come with one extra set (of the same size) foam tips that you use like ear plugs (roll with your fingers, insert in your ear, and wait for them to expand and make a tight seal. I the problem is, the ear tips were too large for my ear (even when heavily compressed) and therefore I had to "jam" them in my ears and after about and hour or so my ears hurt from being expanded. But the sound was great on these. The bass was good and the highs could be improved, but just OK I guess with me.

UPDATE: I now have also tried the Bose In-Ear headphones. I didn't really like them. The fit was not like any of the previous three I mentioned. The Bose In-Ears arn't really In-Ears as they just kind set on your on your ears and not IN them. Kinda like the stock Apple earbuds, you just jam them in your ear and hope they stay. I experimented with the different ear tips and never did get a good of fit as I can VModas, or any other In-ear that aucutally goes in your ear.

Sound quality wise, the Bose were "OK." For "Smiple" music, (like acoustic, or other calm music) the Bose was great at reproducing the audio. Great sound all around. But then if you put on more "heavy" music like a rock song or any kind of music that had a lot things going on at once, the Bose's really started to show some issues. Bass was there, but the wrong frequencies where boosted (by the headphones) and therefore the sound was kinda "airy." Not to mention the highs where almost non-existent. Mids where OK. So I would say if you listen to calm music like Jazz, classical, acoustic, then the Bose would be a great choice. But if you listen to more "harder" music like I do (much harder), then forget it, Bose will over-process the music and it will sound bad. End of story with the Bose.

So I was wondering, can anyone recommend me a set of headphones that would go after what I am looking for (the sound quality of the JVC marshmallows, but the good fit of the Apple IEM's or the V-MODA's.) The headphone cord MUST be the "Y style" and NOT the kind that is long and short and goes around your neck.(otherwise the "Sennheiser CX 300v" would be a good choice, but the cabling turns me off) Also, pricing can be anywhere between $20 and $120.

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you have any questions about the three sets of headphones I have now, feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them for you. But be quick, because eventually I will be returning one or more of these sets of headphones once I find a good set that I like and will keep!

Thanks!
    -Scott
  2. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

Code:
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
    sound great (good high mid and bass)
    80usd
    block out alot of sound
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  4. dillon9693

dillon9693 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i just got the bose in-ear headphones for christmas. all around theyre pretty good, but theyre $90, a little pricey.
  5. thechungster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    They're pretty good, not amazing. Bass can be a bit heavy at first, but you get used to it. Mid-range: Bit muddy, can be clearer. Treble: Slightly muddy as well.
  6. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I see these have "armature" drivers. I thought those are the "bad" kind?

Yeah, I thought about the Bose too, but I have herd a lot of people complaining about them. I think the muddy mids and highs would leave me dissatisfied if I got the Bose. I can almost image what they'd sound like knowing Bose and there other products.

They could be a possibility. Where do you see them for $80? They kinda look weird though. I like the looks of the "Shure SE210's" but they are $149 - so they might be out of the question unless I get a flood of people recommending them. Then I'd be really curious and would make an effort to try them out.
  7. thechungster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I thought armatures are the good kind... These are Shure we are talking about.
  8. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    But they also make whatever the other kind are too, and those are the even more expensive ones! Hopefully someone will chime in and explain because i'm lost...
  9. redsoxfan11

redsoxfan11 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I also got the Bose In Ear headphones. They are great, but yes a little pricey.
  10. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826503003
    73.49 plus shipping about 7 dollars
    they look fine once they are in your ears