[IN DEV] SpringBack - Backup and Restore your Home Screen Layout

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Matt Donnelly, May 17, 2009.

1. Matt Donnelly

Matt Donnelly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey everyone,

I'm working on a new application called SpringBack which will allow you to backup and restore the layout of your Home Screen (SpringBoard) with the touch of a button. One of the cool things about SpringBack is that it means you no longer have to arrange your icons for iNav themes, all you will need to do is get a backup someone has made, SSH it into your iPhone and make the categories and blank webclips. That's it! No more arranging the blank webclips and categories! Although this may sound like a simple application, it is actually quite dangerous, as if you were to restore to a layout that includes an application that you have removed, you may have to restore your device, but this hasn't been tested. However it automatically makes a backup of your current layout when you restore to backup which can be used if anything goes wrong.

The application is in the beta stages at the moment and I need a few people to be Beta Testers for me, so if you want to be one, leave your email address below and write a few lines about why I should pick you (nothing too detailed), and I'll send you a copy.

Thanks,

Matt

Heres a pic:

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
  3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

So you're just backing up com.apple.springboard.plist?
  4. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This would be helpful to those not experienced with SSH... even though its not that hard. I will beta test I guess. I'm not posting anything. I'll PM you. I don't trust people on this site with my email... especially that bgizzle guy..... oh, wait...
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Or any of the moderators?

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, them too. They are such creepers. Especially Manic Nimrod and Meikura.... wait.... they're the only mods in my contacts............. what creepers.
  7. Matt Donnelly

Matt Donnelly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Basically yes, but it's a much safer way of doing it.
  8. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I was waiting for an app like this. Shouldn't be hard to do, but very handy.
  9. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I got a better idea. Write a GUI for editing the com.apple.springboard.plist file. For each page you have 4x4 (or 4x5 with 5-column SB) empty slots which can fill with your apps; tap on the slot and it opens up the list of apps that have not been given a slot yet. This would be a great improvement over moving each app to its place on the springboard.
  10. Matt Donnelly

Matt Donnelly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That would kind of defeating the point of the app, as the its just supposed to back up the file, and if fairness its not that difficult to rearrange icons, it would only save a few seconds tops. But I might consider it in the future.