[IN-DEPTH REVIEW] Vay: The Best RPG in the AppStore!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by RenegadeKrogan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

RenegadeKrogan's Review of Vay for the iPod touch and the iPhone

Please Register or Log in to view images

Vay has arrived at the AppStore and I have to say it is an unbelievable game. First off...the asking price is $4.99 USD which is a bargain.

This game will truly provide you with 40-50 hours of good, solid gameplay. After you buy it and it begins to download feel free to watch a little TV while it downloads. The download is 50 MB and rightly so with all of the gameplay and enjoyment you receive from it. For this review I will look at each aspect of the game. You will see the Story (no spoilers though), Gameplay, Characters, Quests, Gameplay Controls, Combat, Navigation, Graphics, Audio, Saving, Shopping, Cutscenes, and the Rating.

First of all let's look at...

Story

“Long Ago In A Forgotten Corner Of The Universe….”-Opening Narration, Vay- In Vay, the player assumes the role of Sandor, Prince of Lorath. The game begins on Sandor’s wedding day. He is going to wed the lady Elin. The beautiful and mysterious woman that ended up in Lorath, it truly was love at first sight. (RPG veterans may recall a similar plot in Phantasy Star III, not that that’s a bad thing.-MM-) Sandor and Elin are about to exchange vows when, Lorath is suddenly attacked. Large mechs rain destruction down from the heavens. Most of Lorath is destroyed, many lie dead or dying. And it seems than the goal of the attack was the abduction of the Lady Elin.

From here Sandor, decides to go after Elin, rescue his love, and avenge the people of Lorath. It turns out the only way to defeat the might of the Danek Empire, and their awesome technology, is to claim the legendary armor of Vay. The very same armor that, nearly destroyed the world a millenia ago. (What a twist!-MM-) As per RPG tradition there are many twists and turns, monsters to slay, deaths to avenge, and good old fashioned saving the world. Thankfully the lengthy story is well written. (As we have come to expect from a Working Designs translation.-MM-) And filled with interesting characters. Speaking of characters.

This is just a very basic plot outline that MobyGames released..

Gameplay

The game plays in landscape mode with a 320-pixel wide world/map window next to a 160-pixel wide character status display. The battle screen is a full 480-pixels wide and features much more detailed graphics than the main world/map screens. The game has a very retro feel to it but that is what makes the game great. One of the best parts of the game is it auto saves so there is no need to ever save it.

Characters

Here are all of the characters from the original game and since this is a port they should be the same as you should expect.

* Sandor is Vay's protagonist, and the Prince of Lorath. He takes it upon himself to rescue his bride Elin, and eventually becomes the pilot of the legendary Armor of Vay.
    * Pottle is the apprentice of Otto, a well-known wizard. He wields considerable magical power.
    * Rachel is a mercenary that relies on brute strength to defeat her enemies.
    * P.J., or Prudence Jurissa, is young woman who wields powerful magic. She quickly develops a crush on Sandor after their initial meeting.
    * Lynx is a free-spirited, hard-drinking bard. He's a well-rounded combatant but has a rude and questionable demeanor.
    * Kinsey is the Captain of the Pirates of Exeter Village. She allows the party use of her ship at a key point in the story.
    * Otto is an elderly but wise wizard. He offers advice to Sandor frequently throughout the game.
    * Jeal is the ruler of the Danek Empire. He lusts after the power that the Vay Armor is rumored to bestow upon its pilot.
    * Sadoul is Jeal's adviser. He seems to have Jeal's best interests in mind, but seems to have an unhealthy interest in the Vay Armor as well...

The NPC's in this game can help on quests and they are always fun to talk to.

Quests

A lot of games these days have repetitive story lines but the Vay storyline feels fresh and fun. I have played it a lot now and each mission brings you up with something new. The missions can be hard and then they can be easy and at other times extremely frustrating if you get lost and have no idea where to go.

Gameplay Controls

Controls on a game can literally make it or break it and i think the controls for Vay have made it. The way you move is you tap where you want to go and the main character goes there and you double tap to run. At first it is hard and can feel wrong but after a couple of minutes you begin to get a good feel for the controls and I am pretty sure you will grow to love them.

Thanks to fellow ifans.com member "dark_cloud" for reminding me to mention that if you go to settings on the main screen of the ipod you can find the Vay section and change the difficulty of the game, you can enable all audio, enable BGM, enable SFX, turn on original battle sprites and change all of the main characters names.

Combat

The combat in this game is much like the combat style in other RPG-style games. The gameplay plays like Final Fantasy and Golden Sun but you have a view of the backs of your characters. There are several options you can choose from and they include but are not limited to Attack, Magic and Items. You will have more characters to use in battle as you move along in the game. There are over 90 enemy characters so you will not get bored with the same ones everytime.

Navigation

Navigation in this game is fairly similar to Golden Sun and Final Fantasy. You go into towns and it looks like this....

And when you are outside of towns you have the chance of being attacked by creatures and enemy's.

Graphics

Not much to say here except that it looks like the original game but it is updated and the enemy's are drawn better. That is all I can say. This will not suprise you with excellent graphics like Super Monkey Ball. The graphics in this game are along par with Final Fantasy I&2 and Golden Sun.

Audio

The audio in this game is very simple and is just there to hear. When you are attacked the music changes to high-paced and when you enter a town the music is slow and peaceful. Do not expect to be suprised with amazing music in this game. It is good to listen to but nothing else.

Saving

Saving in this game is a godsend. There is no need to save the game when you want to quit. Just hit the home button and the game saves in less the a second. This is helpful if your ipod/iphone runs out of battery while you are playing this. You can save manually if you want as well.

Shopping

Shopping in this game can be kind of annoying. You click a weapon or item and you automatically buy it. There is no prompt asking if you want to buy it. That can be annoying. Again, the game's shop is set up much like Golden Sun and Final Fantasy.

Cutscenes

There are over 10 minutes in cutscenes. The scenes are nothing special but they do give you plot elements so they are worth watching. You can fast forward, rewind and skip the cutscenes.

Rating

I have to give this game an 10/10. This is one of the best from the AppStore and for $4.99 USD it is a steal. Over 40 hours of gameplay makes this a must have. If you like Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, RPG's, or are looking for a cheap, fantastic game then you will find none better the Vay.

Please leave me feedback!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Also...Please do not take my pictures without asking. I took all of these so please ask ebfore using.
    One more thing...Please email me if you have any questions about the game!
    Best game evr!
  2. RenegadeGeth

RenegadeGeth Banned

Nice review!
  3. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Thanks...
  4. Jaze@pod

Jaze@pod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    nice review i want to buy this game but i can't becaus it is not available in germany's appstore... is there a website or any given information that it will release in germany too?
  5. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

I do not know. It will probably be there sometime soon.
  6. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Nah.
    Think it's only USA based.
    Great review though.
  7. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Great review it actually made me want to get it lol. But I won't since I'm not really in an RPG playing mood right now, but I might get it later!
  8. davebarrie

davebarrie New Member

erm.. u should be cautious giving an rpg a 10-10
  9. Casual18

Casual18 Banned

• Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    time to go look for a cracked app on the net.
  10. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    advocating piracy on a front-page article = this is how you get banned