[IN DEPTH REVIEW] Trism by Aduumzor

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Aduumzor, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    In Depth Review: Trism
    By: Aduumzor

Please Register or Log in to view images

Back in the old times of the 1.1.3 Apple iPod/iPhone firmware period, was a one man team lead by Steve who called his company Demiforce. No one really knew who he was, until Steve previewed the beta application "Trism" created by him on his iPhone and uploaded it to Youtube. Everyone began to wonder when this game was going to be released on jailbroken iPods/iPhones and Steve actually created a little web page to input your email for a reply when "Trism" would official be released on the iPod Touch/iPhone. Since then, that particular video has recieved over a quarter of a million views. Fast forward a bit to the 1.1.4 Apple firmware times and unfortuneatly, Steve announced that he would not release "Trism" until the offical App Store was launched because releasing the game through Installer could jeopradize his relationship with Apple. But luckily as some people would put it, a "Trism" beta package was leaked from a beta tester and circulated the Installer with speed. With that, Steve decided that the leaked beta would be the only taste jailbreakers would get of the game before the release of the App Store.

Speed it up to the more current times of 2.0 Apple firmware and the release of the App Store, Demiforce (instead of Steve, since he has some other workers as well) kept their promise and got "Trism" out on the debut release of the App Store for $4.99. I quote from Steve's first video about "Trism" months ago; "I feel like this is the next step of evolution of games", and thats to just say the least about it.

Trism is a terrific looking graphic puzzle game related to classics such as Bejeweled and Hexic except it uses triangles. The highlight of this game is how the triangles fall into place, using all the potential of the accelerometer. You can play this game on six different axis making the "trisms" or triangles fall differently. When the beta video was released it only had one mode, and that was normal mode or what is now called "Infinism". But since then, its been boosted to a whopping three modes; Infinism, Terminism and Syllogism plus a well walkthrough tutorial for beginners. It's also has extra addons and bonuses; but we'll get to that later... on with the review!

When I first bought this game I had high expectations. From other buyers reviews it sounded great, and it gave me no disappointments. With the price of $4.99 I question whether to keep Bejeweled on my list of future purchases. With the tap of the "Trism" icon from my springboard, my first sight was a simple but awesome looking title screen with three options along the bottom; Options, My Account & Play.

The only options you could change in "Trism" currently are to toggle color blind mode and sound effects. It also had an option to reset local scores.

Selecting account from the main screen will bring you to your account info. The debut release of "Trism" also brings along online scoring to see how you compare with players around the world. Your account does not only work just for "Trism" the game but also works with the Demiforce forums! If you don't have an account, don't worry theres a simple button to sign up instantly in "Trism" the game! Once your logged in you can view your: account name, top Infinism score, top Terminism score, all time total trisms cleared score, all time total points scored and your best combo scored. Theres also a button to view how many achievements you have achieved.

Last on the main screen is the play button which will lead you to the three "Trism" modes and an easy to follow tutorial. First on the list are the list are the tutorials which break down into four parts; basics, bonuses, obstacles and freeplay. Each level goes slowly and teaches you how to play "Trism", giving you some practise time at the end so you make sure you understand what you're doing.

The first game mode is "Infinism". It's basically a never ending type of puzzle which will go on practically forever till you get blown up and lose. This is the game mode most will utilise as it's not timed and you can take as long as you want to plan combos and rack up those points.

Next is "Terminism". It's the exact same thing as "Infinism" but timed. You'll have the clock looking thing to the bottom right of the screen which tells which axis your using and also turns different colors depending on how long you are taking to create a trism match. Common sense knows that green is good, yellow is to hurry up and red to find a match as soon as possible. Bombs do not have a timer and do need to be defused as soon as possible as you never know when they're going to blow up. This mode is awesome if you're sitting waiting for a plane ride or catching the bus or subway heading downtown.

2. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Finally, the last mode is "Syllogism". This mode is all based on the accelerometer. It's like the classic game "Collapse" on puzzle mode. You'll need to remove all the trisms (or blocks in Collapse's sake) in the shortest amount of moves to win. This mode can get rather difficult and fustrating once you get into the higher rounds. I fell into the trap of moving my Apple device around too much and accidently making the trisms slide unintentionally to the wrong place. This mode should be only used when you want a good challenge as it will serve you up many times before you master it.

If the "Trism" game modes haven't woo'd you into this game yet, then theres much more than that making this game from good to excellent. I'll start with in game playing features. On the opposing side, the "bad" trisms are locked trisms which will lock the rows of trisms its in together and won't move and explosive trisms which ideally the player should defuse if they don't want defeat. On the player side they have rainbow trisms which acts as an any colored trism and replaces the holes with the color trism it matched with and star trisms which can move any row and hold that spot without having to match any trisms, but can only be used 5 times. Learning unique techniques like the "Starwalk" technique showed on Demiforce's Youtube channel enhances the game for better and funner gameplay.
    Another feature that wow'ed me was the achievements page. It held 22 achievements to unlock as easy as defusing a simple bomb trism to accumulating 50 000 000 total points across all games. It'll keep you playing for a long time trying to achieve all these achievements.

This is first application that I've seen that caters to the less fortunate, and no I'm not talking about the poor; the colorblind. In options if you toggle the colorblind option to on, then instead of just getting coloured trisms in every game, but you'll also notice that a letter has been assigned to every different trism according to its color; such as V will be used for violet trisms, R for red trisms and so on.

One last thing that made me scream for more was the option to save your spot in a game at anytime and play from the same spot awhile later. It even allows you from the menu while playing any Trism mode at exit if you want to exit out of the game or you want to take a break and come back playing Trism the same spot you left off as. It was a very nice and convenient option to include for the debut.

The only problems, that occured while I was playing was that it frequently stopped and crashed back to springboard randomly. But I take the blame on myself since I didn't restart my iPod Touch after installing the game to it. The only issue that made me a bit uneasy was when selecting a trism to move in any mode, it seemed to lag a tad then select the trism I wanted; a bit unresponsive. I don't know if thats how the game was created or just a small flaw but I got used to it as I went along.

All in all, "Trism" from long ago before it was released had a crowd awaiting for a mighty bang and Demiforce blew them out of their seats with more than expected. With the debut of "Trism" brings along many features such as three unique game modes, 22 achievements, online scoring, amazing game features, colorblind mode, using the accelerometer and playing the game in six different axis and much much more, this game is a total steal for only $4.99. Despite, the little lag when selecting trisms to move, Demiforce hit this game out of the park on their first release. If there are updates for Trism, it'll only get bigger and better. This is one of the most high quality games out for the iPod Touch and iPhone which will make you ponder why you purchased Tetris or Bejeweled for double the price.​
  3. Ipodtouch97

Ipodtouch97 Banned

is this a review?
    if it is
    WOW!! great job!!
  4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Wow...

This just sh*t on my review...

lol... very nice.
  5. ToXiC

ToXiC Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice.

BTW: How do I get my pictures from my iPod to my PC?
  6. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    great review and it looks like a great game but uh, the only reason i didn't like the demo is 'cos it was too slow and full of delays and lags and such, ended up getting really boring

and from this

it seems like it's still there in this version ): guess i'd have to see some videos of gameplay before i buy it, brb youtube

edit: yep, still delay-ey, especially when you drag a row and let go
  7. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Just connect it to your Computer and it should come up as a camera.
  8. skatedude0816

skatedude0816 New Member

Wow... Best review I've seen yet. Now I'm going to get this game.
  9. Help_Me

Help_Me New Member

Dang. I cant compete with that review
  10. Jimmy Maz

Jimmy Maz New Member

for the love of jeebus that review was almost as good as the time i played scrabble with steven hawking.

awesome job man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.