[IN-DEPTH REVIEW] Monkey Ball: Most-Over Hyped Game in the AppStore

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by RenegadeKrogan, Jul 23, 2008.

1. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

[IN-DEPTH REVIEW] Monkey Ball: Love It Or Hate It

RenegadeKrogan's Review Of Monkey Ball for the iPod Touch and iPhone

Please Register or Log in to view images

This review is a little late so i apologize. First of all...The asking price for this game is $9.99 USD which in my opinion is a little over-priced for what the game truly is.

This game will provide you with probably less than an hour of play before you get extremely bored of it and regret buying it. There may be some who enjoy it but there are probably more that do not. In this review I will cover the story, gameplay, characters, levels, graphics, audio, saving and the rating.

Well, let's begin.

Story

There is none. You are a monkey in a ball trying to collect banana's and get through a portal to get to the next level. We have seen this all before.

Gameplay

I will give Super Monkey Ball credit for its good use of the accelerometer but it is way to sensitive. Do not expect to play this game rough. You have to be incredibly gentle and treat it like a baby. You navigate the main menu and other menu's by using your finger and tapping. The gameplay can become highly annoying when you cannot control the monkey and it goes toppling to it's death (many people's favorite part of the game!) The control scheme has great potential but in the end winds up a mess.

Characters

As usual the characters did not change very much if at all. You have four characters to choose from.

*AiAi-A high spirited monkey who just can't get enough bananas. He can be scatterbrained at times, but he is very reliable when it counts. He is an unlockable character in the original Sonic Riders. Loves bananas so much he spends his carefree life thinking "The banana I ate was really good"

*MeeMee-A cute stylish monkey who is adored by all the other monkeys. She loves AiAi and is married to him. Baby is the child of AiAi and Meemee.

*Baby- He is the son of AiAi and MeeMee, traveling back to the past from the future. Although still young, he is reliable like his mother. He is the fastest, coolest baby around. He travels from the future to stop the evil plans of Dr. Bad-Boon to break up his parents. His cries reverberates across Jungle island and only Meemee can calm him down.

*GonGon-This powerful monkey trains everyday to become the strongest monkey. However his size makes him the slowest of the other 3 characters. How can you not love a kick-ass monkey named GonGon?

As you can see a lot of thought and originality went into naming the monkeys...no, actually, not at all.

Levels

There are five different worlds and over 100 levels. That makes no difference. All of the levels feel repetitive and they get boring. Some have different things like a slide but that is the only "excitement" you can get from this game. The levels in this game are colorful and look nice but they are boring. 100 levels of guiding a monkey to it's bananna's can be incredibly boring after ten minutes. I only labored through playing the game and beating it so i could make this review.

Graphics

What’s surprising is that the visuals in the game are amazingly vivid and detailed. Even though they mix 2D with 3D they manage to look excellent, especially for a launch game. This is probably the biggest plus for the game and the graphics in this game are some of the best i have seen in the AppStore.

Audio

Kill me now before I have to listen to another soundtrack from this game. The music is okay at first but as you get frustrated with the game the music only feeds the fire. I enjoyed it more without the music.

Saving

The saving of the game is a high-point as well. It auto-saves. That is all I can say.

Rating

I give this game a 4/10. It was over-hyped and over-priced for what it is. The controls are wacky and the music is crappy. The saving and amount of levels is a plus (kind of) because it provides a lot of different things to do. I have been mean to this game in this review and I apologize to those who are angry at me for this. This game is over-hyped and ridiculous. It will provide fun in small amounts and it will never be more than that. It had great potentil but never lived up to it. Honestly, this is a game that you will either love or hate.
  2. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Hmm, i won't flame just because i'm a fanboy of this game, but i have to ask one question : how far are you in the game?
  3. steveboy12

steveboy12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    woohooo good review
  4. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

I beat it. There is no need to ever flame. This is opinion and i am pretty sure it will agree with a lot of people's taste.
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
  6. Hiratai

Hiratai Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is a subpar review, but the other one you've made was better, by far.
  7. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Yeah...i know. I make better reviews for games i like a lot more.
  8. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    This review looks very good! Well ba for smb.

If I can get my hands on it some way I'll still test it!

Btw an update us expected very soon and fixes the sensibility
  9. davidpiano1

davidpiano1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Nice review but for me its a 10/10. And the music is kinda catchy

10. epnfatbdy

epnfatbdy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I would agree and disagree with this review...i agree with the music is crappy, but the controls aren't THAT bad...once I got the hang of it is was almost too easy for me until I got to the volcano levels (which I'm still stuck on now)...I also agree this game is overpriced, but it was expected to be since it's a commercial developer...SEGA knows people are going to buy this game, and they charged whatever they wanted to...and lastly it is a little over-hyped, but not as much as you made it seem...it was overhyped...again...because it is a commercial developer...SEGA has the money to have monkey ball running in the iphone commercials, and every single app store logo you see has an iPhone with ebay, and monkey ball (two developers with enough money to pull this off)...everyone would of gone and bought anything that they have been spoon-fed since the SDK rumors even began...overall for me: 7.5/10...it's addictive and i would recommend it