[IN-DEPTH REVIEW] Crash Bandicoot Nitro-Kart Racer

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by RenegadeKrogan, Jul 27, 2008.

1. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Crash Bandicoot Nitro-Kart Racer 3D Review
    Review By RenegadeKrogan​

Please Register or Log in to view images

I am sorry that this review is a little late but I make them as I buy the games and stuff. In this review I will be covering the story, graphics, levels, characters, weapons, gameplay, and the overall rating. This game costs $9.99 USD from the AppStore.

Story

Let's look at the story first. The story is incredibly simple. You basically need to help out different people and you use different characters. Here is the game summary from the developer.

"The nefarious Nitrous Oxide has joined forces with evil genius Dr. Cortex and his demented side-kick Ripper Roo, in a plot to beat the Bandicoots into submission once and for all, and at long last clear the way for world domination. In order to lure Crash and his gang out in the open, they stage a Kart tournament. The winners will be crowned “Kings Of Kart Racing For All Eternity”, the losers will be banished from N. Sanity Island.

Join the zany inhabitants of N-Sanity Island as they slip, slide and skid their way around wild tracks set in environments ranging from the Egyptian desert to Outer Space! Dodge rockets, falling meteorites and boulders as you fight for your place at the top of the podium."

Graphics

Graphics can make or break a game. The graphics in this game do both. The graphics are very simple and they do not compare to SMBl but none-the-less they seem to work for the style of gameplay. They are nice looking and show what the ipod/iphone is capable of doing. When playing the game you barely notice the graphics...you are more interested in winning the game.

Levels

The game is currently equipped with 12 tracks and we can only hope for more to be released in an update. The tracks are all different and they are all fun. They vary from range, size and the amount of time it takes to complete. hen playing the game the tracks can become a little repetitive but that is okay considering there are twelve.

Characters

There are only six characters to choose from. You can initially only play as Crash in cup and Quick Game mode but if you collect enough power-ups then you can unlock more characters. The characters are as follows... (descriptions from other site)

Crash Bandicoot- He is the primary protagonist of the Crash Bandicoot series, and the character that the player has direct control over throughout almost the entire series. Originally an ordinary bandicoot, Crash was mutated by Doctor Neo Cortex to become the general of his "Cortex Commandos", but was soon rejected as unworthy to be in Cortex's army, and was chased out of Cortex's Castle.This would result in Crash foiling Cortex's plans time and again throughout the series. Crash has a very emotional personality, being quick to laugh and quick to cry. His actions in the first Crash Bandicoot games are mainly driven by his desire to rescue Tawna, whom he was attracted to. Crash's main modes of attack include spinning like a tornado and jumping onto his enemies; his range of techniques have increased since then to include sliding against enemies, body slamming, jumping at high heights and, as of Crash of the Titans, taking control of his enemies by mounting them. His favorite dish is Wumpa Fruit, a type of multicolored fruit native to the Wumpa Islands. Crash is voiced by Brendan O'Brien in the Naughty Dog games, Steven Blum in Crash Nitro Kart, and Jess Harnell in the Radical Entertainment games. He is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi in the Japanese versions of the games up to Crash Nitro Kart, and by Makoto Ishii in Crash Boom Bang!.

Dr. Neo Cortex- A balding mad scientist with a giant 'N' branded onto his forehead. He was ridiculed by the scientific community for his outlandish theories, and is motivated by the desire to prove them wrong. He mutated Crash Bandicoot with plans to make him the general of his "Cortex Commandos", but ultimately rejected him as unworthy, and chased him out of his castle. This would result in his defeat to Crash Bandicoot time and again throughout the series. He currently works under the orders of Aku Aku's evil brother Uka Uka, who is frequently infuriated with Cortex's constant failure to dispose of Crash. Cortex is voiced by Brendan O'Brien in the first Crash Bandicoot game, by Clancy Brown from Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back to Crash Nitro Kart, and by Lex Lang from Crash Twinsanity onwards. He is voiced by Shōzō Iizuka in the Japanese versions of the games up to Crash Tag Team Racing and by Yōsuke Akimoto in Crash Boom Bang!. As a child in a flashback in Crash Twinsanity, he is voiced by Debi Derryberry in the English version and by Noriko Suzuki in the Japanese version.

Coco Bandicoot- Crash's younger sister. As opposed to Crash's foolish demeanor, Coco is a technological genius, making her debut as a computer hacker in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. Coco made her debut as a playable character in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, helping Crash gather Crystals in ancient China, the pirate-infested Caribbean, and the skies of World War I. Along with her computer skills, Coco is a fan of Kung-Fu movies, and has an array of physical fighting moves influenced by these, most notably her powerful kicks. Coco is voiced by Vicki Winters in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Hynden Walch in Crash Team Racing, and by Debi Derryberry in all her subsequent speaking appearances. In the Japanese versions of the games, she is voiced by Haruna Ikezawa from Crash Bandicoot 2 to Crash Bash, Ema Kogure from Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex to Crash Twinsanity, Satomi Arai in Crash Tag Team Racing, and by Risa Tsubaki in Crash Boom Bang!.

Ripper Roo- a boss character in the first and second games in the series. He is a kangaroo who was mutated by Doctor Neo Cortex and now has a demented personality and distinctive laughter. He mainly attacks through the use of his razor-sharp toenails and laying down TNT and Nitro tiles. As of the second game, he has a second personality that is much more sane than his dominant one. An explosion is enough to get him back to his old hopping mad self. He has additional appearances in Crash Team Racing as a boss character and Crash Bash as an obstacle. Ripper Roo is voiced by Katsumi Suzuki in the Japanese version of Crash Team Racing.

Yaya Panda- Is a new character to the series. She is a panda and that is all i can really say.

Nitrous Oxide- is an extraterrestrial who claims to be the fastest racer in the galaxy. He acts as the main antagonist of Crash Team Racing, attempting to turn Earth into a concrete parking lot. After being thwarted in this plan, he fled back to his native Gasmoxia and only returned to racing after years of seclusion and therapy. He appears as a playable character in Crash Nitro Kart. Oxide is voiced by Quinton Flynn in Crash Nitro Kart He is voiced by Junpei Takiguchi in the Japanese version of Crash Team Racing, and by Chafūrin in the Japanese version of Crash Nitro Kart.

Weapons

There are currently 8 weapons that you can get while racing. You will run into a box with a question mark on it and then you will recieve a random weapon. The weapons vary from missiles to ink.

Gameplay

When you play this game you have several options to choose from.

Quick Race- You go right into a game without choosing the map or character. The gameplay is instantaneous.

Tutorial- You learn the basics of the game from here.

Cup- You can choose from the N-Trophy Cup, Wumpa Cup, or the Aku-Aku Cup. The cups get harder and each contains four maps and you do four races and receive points based on which position you come in.

Story- You do the story mode of the game and you do not get to choose your map or character. Each mission gives you a challenge which will consist of coming in first or collecting the most Wumpas.

Time Trial- You try to set a time and then you want to get faster and faster as you go along.

The way you control the car is by tilting the ipod touch and the makes it go left or right. You can adjust the accelerometer sensitivity in the settings. You can jump the car by tapping the screen and you can drift by touch both sides of the screen and you shoot weapons by clicking the weapon icon.

Overall

This game is a lot of fun and I believe it deserves a 9/10. It has okay graphics and the story line is bland but the gameplay is incredibly fun. You will not be getting bored with this game anytime soon.

Please leave me feedback on the review!
  2. Fehr

Fehr New Member

I've wanted this game for.. forever.

Great review!
  3. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Thanks.
  4. Sarge

Sarge New Member

Nice review, but it's not in-depth, since most of the content, which is characters and story, is unnecessary in a review. The review isn't in-depth in important things such as gameplay (which is needed for a person who is deciding on whether or not to buy a game.) For example, an in-depth description of controls (such as jump-to-drift/ automatic speed-up), weapons, difference between karts, FPS, graphics clipping, glitches, and whether or not maps include shortcuts/crazy jumps/whatever would be nice.

Just some friendly critique.

5. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I appreciate all the time you've put into this great review!

6. brianwalker111

brianwalker111 New Member

nice review... i will buy when i upgrade to 2.0
  7. tylobedo

tylobedo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    excellent review
  8. ipodtouch is dabest

ipodtouch is dabest Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    nice

nice review, it was really good. i bought this game and it was worth EVERY penny! really fun, even tho you can finish it pretty fast

9. nikeair

nikeair New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Nice review...I bought this game and it is great. This game reminds me of Re-Volt...if any of you know what that is.

10. rpwarrior

rpwarrior New Member

Yea man ill game one of the better ones on app store but still can't waitnfor installer 4.0 so I can get mario kart back through gameboy advance emulator!!!!!