In Defense of iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamil_d, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I admit; iPad is nothing as revolutionary as iPhone was in 2007. However, instead of going on about what it can do, I’m going to try and dissect the arguments against it.

It doesn’t run on Mac OS X
    This is possibly the most popular complaint I’ve seen against iPad, and frankly, it’s very weak. Firstly, a laptop which runs Mac OS X is approximately 13” on the diagonal, with an accurate pointing device - the mouse. iPad is 9.7”, and touchscreen - if it were to hold a non-proprietary OS such as Mac OS X or Windows, it would be extremely hard to manipulate.

Second point on this issue - it’s already been tried. Microsoft allows its OS to be used on other brands’ tablets. These are complete failures. They’re buggy, hard to use, and, have low battery life. iPad has ten hours of battery life, which is revolutionary for a device that size - and if it ran OS X, the battery life would be horrendous. I for one, would not go near a tablet that runs a Desktop OS.
    Price! Do you really think that a device which runs a full desktop OS, requires at least 2GHz of processing power, 1GB of RAM, and all specifications required for OS X would really be priced at $499? No way - a device capable of running a desktop OS efficiently at bare minimum would cost at least $1000.

No Multitasking
    The only supposed downside of the iPad, which I don’t really see as a downside. Firstly - define multitasking. What will you need it for? Running games in the background and listening to music? You can already do that - Mail, iPod, Safari, and other Apple-created apps can already run in the background. This so-called multitasking is nothing but letting apps run in the background and suck up battery life.

Really, stop to think about it for a second. Does it really take that much effort to simply press the home button and launch another app? The start up time for these apps will be amazing as well, as the 1GHz processor coupled with insane amounts of RAM (for a mobile device) will prove to be efficient at opening these relatively light applications.
    ——-
    These are the two main complaints I’ve seen, and they’re weak, unfounded, and have no reasonable basis. Apple has made mistakes and flops in the past, including the MacBook Air, but this is not one of those mistakes.
  2. fred7

fred7 New Member

The only thing I need is Flash to enter other games in facebook and other pages
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah, if there was flash i could ignore everything else but....
  4. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Oh ya, $500 to play Farm-f***ing-ville in Facebook.
  5. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    dude dont dis farmville....

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

7. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Flash is even more silly. Who would want an outdated technology which hogs up RAM and delivers nearly nothing to the real mobile content?
  8. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    The name. Name is horrible. iPad? (refer to my sig)
  9. Best Name Ever

Best Name Ever New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you are one immature little child.
    jeez people get over it.
    ya it was funny the first few hours of release, now it is just plain stupid.

this new ipad is pretty cool. compared to everything else out there, it is frikkin awesome.
    yes yes i know the hp slate. whatever.
    i like this ipad and i like your arguements.
    i agree with everything, especially that whole OS thing.
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

You know there's a different between a pad and a tampon right?