in a bit of a pickle...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by styylus, Aug 15, 2009.

1. styylus

styylus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so it appears my "home" button has suddenly stopped working on my iPod touch 1G... bullsh*t as I took really good care of the thing; but I guess it's a pretty common problem (or defect).

anyway, I see that there's an app from cydia that can effectively replace the home button functionality, but to jailbreak I need to enter DFU mode which of course requires use of the home button.

my question: is there *any* way to jailbreak without having to enter DFU mode?

thanks for any help.
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Why weren't you jailbrokem in the first place?
    Lol
  3. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm afraid not

Please Register or Log in to view images

You will need to get your iPod replaced because, how will you exit apps? its impossible if the home button doesn't work. That happened to mine, i got it replaced. So far my "new" one has been going strong for 1 year and 2 months.l
  4. Kid Dynomite

Kid Dynomite New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i think there is a cmd prompt code to enter DFU
  5. reaper00004

reaper00004 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There is something in SBSettings as well that can exit apps
  6. styylus

styylus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I actually was jailbroken...but I made an appointment with a "genius" for tomorrow to try to get the thing replaced, so I decided to restore...

as for exiting from apps, there is apparently an app "ihome" I believe, that can mirror the home button function by swiping across the bottom of the screen;

so again, if there were a way to jailbreak without DFU, this arrangement could provide a (short-term) solution... assuming these guys won't replace my out-of-warranty iPod
  7. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I didn't realize there were apps, but thats just like extending the fact that its going to need to be replaced....

Good thing with making an appointment. Its stupid how you have to make an appointment with the genius bar.. Especially since they know as much as an average member here.. Possibly even a little less.
  9. styylus

styylus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks for the responses guys... I missed my "genius" appt today, and made another one for tomorrow so I'll report back... it'll very interesting to see if they do anything given how long my IPT has been out of warranty-- however, if this is a product defect, I think they should at least give me a refurb...

otherwise, I will def try the method iptman linked to...

(also, if I'm gonna buy a new one, I figure I should wait for the 3rd gen-- should be soon, no?)
  10. DarkKnIgHt007

DarkKnIgHt007 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    would it be considered briked if ur ipod broke/ froze and u needed DFU but ur home button didnt work. Or maby thats just screwed.