Impressive use of Ipod Space? "Other"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MoogleMob, Mar 13, 2009.

1. MoogleMob

MoogleMob New Member

So I've lately jailbroken my ipod (awesome) xD thanks to QuickFreedom bydancool999. Of course, since it's jailbroken, I thought I should've used it, so I got some skin mods and such, not much though, only one set, and some apps. I readded a ton of my music, and now my iTunes says that my iPod is with 2.76GB of OTHER, 2.44GB of Audio, 1.07GB of Apps, and only 519.1MB FREE. =/ Can anyone help me try to remove some of this "Other"? it seems to be taking up a ton of my space, can't even add my old videos anymore =/

Can anyone help me try to remove some of this "Other"?
    Please and thank you

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. masoco

masoco New Member

The easiest solution is to restore.
  3. MoogleMob

MoogleMob New Member

darn, any other ways? easy or not easy? i'm being pessimistic atm and have a feeling it's gonna happen again in the future, so might aswell learn how to fix other then to restore and resync everything x.x
  4. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Delete some stuff in Cydia that you don't need and see what happens.
  5. masoco

masoco New Member

It's possible you might have two separate music libraries on your iPod. I'm not sure how deal with this, but I've seen other threads, just search around.

You can also use SSH, and browse around for any large files, but that could be a big waste of time.
  6. MoogleMob

MoogleMob New Member

hmm, i tried looking for duplicates of stuff
    Note to Self and All: Do NOT delete folders from var/mobile/... x.x
    I deleted the Applications folder thinking it was a clone, then it disabled all my apps, good thing I made a backup beforehand xD

EDIT: Looks like Restoring really is the best choice, simple and easy =p xD should've done it earlier, oh yeah, for you other people to have this OTHER problem, i think this might help a bit. After you restore, when naming your ipod, DO NOT GIVE IT THE SAME NAME, imo, i think that's where the 2nd libraries are coming from, using all those jailbreak programs to get into your ipod, but your same name ipod save files are added too? x.x just a guess
  7. masoco

masoco New Member

The separate libraries is often a direct cause of a jailbreak app, I just don't remember which one.

In your case, the symptoms aren't very telling of a specific problem. If it were a PC, and I couldn't find any unusually large files, I would run diagnostic tools on the drive, and if that passed, a backup and reinstall.

Since searching through the iPod for large files is not very easy, and there is a chance you can find diagnostic tools if you look around (I haven't), I'd skip right to step three, restore. Plus, you should already have backups of everything.
  8. MoogleMob

MoogleMob New Member

Well that's annoying, after putting all my stuff back on my iPod, my music doesn't work, so I decide to delete all that music on itunes, they were all sent to Other? now my other is at 2gb again. -.-
  9. The Crow

The Crow Banned

Yeah, go to Cydia and under Packages just find stuff you don't use or need and just hit modify and remove (confirm).
  10. karljtaylor

karljtaylor New Member

If that's the case it should be pretty easy for us to find what it is collectively, we can all post what Cydia Apps we're using, the commonalities are suspect.