Importing Notes on a Palm TX to iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by saikyo, Sep 23, 2008.

1. saikyo

saikyo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello, I'm a long time Palm user who recently got a iPod Touch. I was syncing my Palm with my mac, using "The Missing Sync", so I have tons of important information stored as "notes" in the Mark/Space Notebook application.

My iPodTouch duplicates all and more of what I would do on my Palm so far, it seems, but I haven't figured out a way to duplicate that "notes" functionality. I see that ipod touch has a note type app, but is thre a way I could get the notes from my Palm over there and start syncing them to my computer-iPod Touch again?

Thanks for any help!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Any palm to ipod switchers out there? I can't be the only one!
  2. DSensui

DSensui New Member

I'm in the same situation.

I'm using Mark/Space notes to provide me with a walking reference of whatever info I need at hand, and was using a Palm m505 until just now.

Today I got a response to an inquiry I made yesterday and the Mark/Space rep said with Apple's release of a new software developers kit, they can now look into the possibility of doing a 2-way sync.

For me that would be the best solution as I have literally hundreds of notes to sync.
  3. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well do you have a way to get the notes off of your palm pilot to your computer? Because then you could probably put them on your iPod through SSH. Or maybe you could email them to yourself from the palm pilot and open the email on your iPod and download the notes? I dunno just a thought.
  4. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member

Its hard to say if you can do this on Mac. I used to have a Palm (Zire 72). To be honest, it sucked. But that's beside the point. When I synched it with Palm Desktop on Winblows it would convert my notes to PNG or DOC (depending if its text or drawing).
    I still have hundreds of PWI notes from my old Pocket PC, but they are all from last year so I don't need them (good thing, I have no way to use them).
  5. DSensui

DSensui New Member

Take a look at SyncBook from ZeroOneTwenty.

This is supposed to be able to sync notes to and from a Mac and an iTouch without having to go through a third party server. Frankly, I don't like the idea of my personal notes floating to some other entity where some stranger can peruse them.

It will require the Mac run Leopard, however.

I bought the app but haven't run the Mac side yet as I had to order Leopard for my MacBook Pro.

Dean.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I got the notes off the Palm using "Missing Sync" and Mark/Space Notebook.

This can also be done via the Palm desktop app, too. But you'll need to cut/paste them into whatever app that will eventually sync with the iTouch.

I'm still not entirely certain what I'll do: stick with Mark/Space or convert everything to SyncBook.

Dean.
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Any specific format they're in? If they're in any normal text form, it would be easy to put them on via AirSharing/SSH and then open them and edit them with a text editor.
  7. DSensui

DSensui New Member

Here's how SyncBook works:

You generate plain text files using Text Edit or any word processor.

These text files are placed in a folder that SyncBook creates in the user's library, under Application Support.

When the iPod syncs, it transfers the text files to the iPod Touch.

Works nicely. Doesn't require an account with some internet entity. It won't email or stream your private information to a server somewhere. Just straight through the USB cable.

Pretty nice.

My only complaint is that the sync process isn't integrated into the iTunes sync process. So notes have to be sync'd separately.

Otherwise it works quite nicely.
  8. saikyo

saikyo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for all the tips, I'll give some of these a try over thanksgiving break.

By the way, what about the issue of search on the iPod Touch?

With memos in the Palm it was very easy to search across the entire PDA or just the notes, and find what you were looking for.

Does the iPod Touch have a similar search feature? Is there something like Spotlight on this thing?

Thanks for the help. Soon I will be Palm free.
  9. Bronyr

Bronyr New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have tried memos from bluemarblesoftware.com and it works great. I exported my Palm memos and notes via google docs in .csv formats. What Memos does is connects to your gmail account, and voila. It cost me 8bux, but it's exactly what I wanted.
  10. JoelK

JoelK New Member

Device:
    iPod touch