[IMPORTANT] Note from Saurik about "Icy"

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by FreeThatAppleDevice, Mar 30, 2009.

1. FreeThatAppleDevice

FreeThatAppleDevice Banned

Saurik:

He's saying that there will be problems with installing some packages from Icy. Icy is really not a good thing to use right now because it screws with already installed packages and isn't very good with Repositories.

Also, Saurik really hates the fact that people now for-see this as some epic battle between Cydia and a cardboard cutout of Cydia.
  2. theboss123

theboss123 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i never new that
    thanks
  3. Duykur

Duykur Banned

I like how he says there is no war, and disses icy in the same sentence. I'm on 3.0 so i have no way to get icy, and wouldn't anyway.
  4. jev

jev New Member

I've been using it and it works great for me. The load times are super fast and no annoying reloading data for 5 min. I hope there is some good competition for cydia. If there is no competition, then there is no incentive to keep improving your product. So far, I really like Icy and am looking forward to see what installer 5 has to offer.
  5. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hehe I know where you got the cardboard cutout of cydia part from.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. ChrisFrancia

ChrisFrancia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    icy is still not perfect and right now it is basically in the same boat as cydia (in my book) so i see some future competition, or cydia will b an outcast like installer4
    i use them in this order

icy(makes uninstalling of things that do not hav icons faster) and sometimes for updating already downloaded stuff

cydia for downloading new stuff and some updates and stuff that icy is bugging about doing

installer if the previous 2 apps become simultaneously incapacitated for quite a while

bottom line is icy is faster so why not c if what i wanna do works on it first then w8 through 2 cydia loading screens(on my ipod, idk about everyone else, but if i click on a button as the reloading data thing comes up it crashes and then 2 more loading screens!

)

btw this is my opinion

ps: i agree with jev, no challenge = not much improvement. but wen u got someone running towards ur ass with a pole ur gonna start moving

and that cardboard cut out is kicking ur ass(in speed)
  7. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Icy vs. Cydia is a no-brainer for me.

Cydia is slower, stable and open-source while Icy is faster, not-reliable due to possible incompatabilities and not open-source.
    I only use it for installing packages and not for browsing for new apps. So use it once for every app I install which means that the speed actually is not that important. I rather have an installer with maximum reliability which is slower than having a faster installer which might introduce some problems, since the time you have to spend so solve a problem will much greater than the time that you could possibly save. Furthermore, since Cydia is open-source I can set up a 'secure' ipod/iphone only with apple/apple store/open-source apps and be pretty sure that noone is masturbating to pics of my gf while listening to my music.
  8. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If only cydia's performance was like icy's......
  9. dbagel

dbagel New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    can some1 help me a little off topic sorry can you use a boost mobile phone chip on a jb iphone?
  10. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch