Review iMotors - Quattro ruote

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by studangerous, Jun 6, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    .. iMotors .- .Quattro. ruote

Please Register or Log in to view images

_______iMotors As A Car Catalogue__________________________

Italian based KF Lab's iMotors was released on the App Store on June 2nd priced at $1.99. Essentially it's a catalogue of all major global auto producers's product lines with price guides for each model and an auto industry news & rumours feed rolled into one little package.

Kets open the app and check out my ride, a Subaru Forester

On opening iMotors it checks for updates in the car manufacturer and model data from KF Labs's database. If you're in a rush you'll probably want to skip this as it takes a few minutes to update. The interface is nothing to write home about but is bug and lag free and, for the most part, understandable at a glance. I'm not sure why the developers decided to put in a fade-to-black area at the top and bottom of the screen. It looks terrible, obscures text and images and quickly becomes very annoying. Weak design and something I hope the developer addresses in an update.

The Ferrari 2009 range

Once into the database you're greeted with a list of more than 65 manufacturers, 350 car models and list prices & specifications for around 4,500 individual car types. Clicking on a car model brings up an image, general specifications, and some blurb followed by list of prices and performance specs for each model's individual vehicle types.

_______iMotors As A Buyers Guide___________________________

Apart from the obvious as a handy encyclopedia of current models for car enthusiasts, I thought that this little app may be of use to some buyers. However buyers beware! I checked a few of the prices listed on iMotors - I had my currency set to British Pounds Sterling (₤) in the options menu - and cross referenced them against official on-the-road prices at subaru.co.uk.

compare the iMotors prices (note the horrible fade on the top and bottom text)...

...with the on-the-road prices at Subaru.co.uk

Although the model types and € prices are obviously Italian market centric there is a definite pricing issue for anyone using this app in the UK or the US (or anywhere outside of Italy tbh). Presumably when you choose $ or ₤ in the settings the € price of an Italian model is simply converted using an unspecified foreign exchange rate. So as the model types are Italian centric and prices out of whack for everywhere but Italy, this app is of limited use as a buyers guide. I think the developers should really consider putting a disclaimer in to highlight this.

_______iMotors As An Auto Industry News Feed_________________

iMotors also syncs to KF Lab's database of news and rumours to provide the latest top automotive industry reports. The feed is not auto updated so you'll need to hit the globe button each time you want to check for fresh news updates. There's not a lot of reporting but there's a few updates each week that amounts to 5-15 new news stories and rumours each week. Again the top and bottom fading obscures text and pictures, the actual news is in a small gray font which isn't easy to read and the translation (presumably from Italian to English) is understandable but far from perfect. A few issues that the I hope the dev takes notice of and works on in an update. App menu design and interface styling is important but should never retract from functionality.

Press the globe to update for latest top auto industry news & rumours

_______iMotors - Other Features ____________________________

iMotors allows you to search through it's comprehensive database using a number of different criteria (brand, model, HP, top speed, price etc.). There's also the facility to rate and review models and you can read reviews written by other iMotors users (there weren't any for any of the car models I browsed through, but the app is still relatively new). All menus and the database are available in Italian, English and Spanish language and parameters and specifications can be set to read in metric/imperial and US$. Euro or Pounds Sterling in the options menu.

Attached Files:

2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Loving the gifs... If I could find some time and patience with Photoshop I might add them to some of mine!

How does it compare to something like Need for Speed?
  3. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol... it's not a game... it's a catalogue of current car models among other things

4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Like CarFacts? Great review Stu!
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    WorldFacts is an app similar to this then - Although... countries instead of cars.

6. Germany

Germany Banned

Wow, great review Stu! I love the detailed descriptions of each use and the scoring on the top. I'm going to consider getting this app.
  7. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Like the scoring at the top a lot. Could we get the template for that? lol.
  8. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thx for the feedback. I'll post the image templates up tomorrow in case you want to mess about with them.

X) all orange and green!