Image save from Safari - Poor Image Quality

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by stevo999, Sep 23, 2008.

1. stevo999

stevo999 New Member

Hi - I have searched these forums for this specific issue and have not been able to find it, but apologies if someone else has already posted about this.

Basically, when I use the save image function from Safari (press image for 2 seconds and hit save) the image that is saved to the camera roll is of a really poor quality. Its as if its been saved with a very low resolution. I've tried with images from various sites - Flickr, BBC etc, but always the same poor quality image is saved.

Anyone else have this issue? Or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
  2. vidurm

vidurm New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think it saves the image in the resolution that safari displays it which is obviously much lesser than normal screens...just a thought...
  3. Xandu

Xandu New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It saves them in JPG format whatever they are. That's why they're bad. If you want a good screenshot look for a 3rd party screenshot app.
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no i think he means the resolution of bigsized photos or images are reduced but the algorithm seems not to work well i'm experiencing the same problem when downloading photos from safari (not just screenshots)...
    i didn't found any solution for that...
  5. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

I've noticed this too. I saved an image with a gradient and it showed up with like blocks of colors. It's not just you...
  6. PiotreG

PiotreG New Member

Actually it is more frsutrating than that...

Hello,

You might not like what you are about to hear. Actually iPod saves the image in good resolution. It is the inbuilt photo utility that displays it like that. If you want a proof download free Scribble from iTunes and open said photo in it. It will appear much better.

There is another program Photoboard (cool app by the way) that is quite cheap and work same. You can use it for collage but if you put a few photos you can in theory use it in a way as a photo displayer (it works only for several photos at a time and is rather silly but works). What is crazy about that is that if you save photo from Photoboard and open it again in Photos app, quality will be poor again.

I haven't tried yet Photogene. If you try let us know how it works

Please Register or Log in to view images

Bests,
  7. Rokkar

Rokkar New Member

there is a app i use to open these files, and thats the PhotoLab app. Open the "bad pixel" photo in that app, add a random filter, undo it, then hit save. a good quality picture will appear in the photos folder.

reason for add filter then undo, is because for some reason you cant just hit save until you have made some "changes" to the photo. so add filter then undo is the way to do it

8. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh, I know this problem! Just make sure the page FULLY LOADS first and then save the image. You should be alright then.
  9. briankh

briankh Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I use Scribble which is a free app in the AppStore to resave the pics and they look fine. Or you can synch the pics to your PC and synch them back again.

Someone (don't remember who) suggested that it might be displaying the image thumbnail instead of the full size image after being saved from Safari. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.
  10. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

this isn't just safari, it's other apps too