Image mapping?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by hitman2992, Jun 7, 2009.

1. hitman2992

hitman2992 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have a question that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

I need to make only a certain part of an image touchable. how would i do this?
  2. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    You could subclass UIImageView and override the touchesBegan function, and if the coordinates of the touch meet some conditions, you make it do something, otherwise, you discard it.
  3. hitman2992

hitman2992 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    thanks ill try that out
  4. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

You actually wouldn't even have to subclass it for just tracking the point touched. UITouch has a CGPoint value for its location in a specific view, which you can then see if that point lies within a certain CGRect, and then decide what to do from there.
  5. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Checking if the touch is within a certain CGRect fails in all cases where you want to map other shapes besides rects (what image mapping is intended for).

I would, if I were you, create a UIImageView subclass called UIMappedImageView (or whatever) that has a mapCoords:VA_ARGS method. That method would, when called create an array if shapes. I would also categorize NSArray and add a performSelector method on it that takes that selector and performs it on all the array's objects if possible (skipping those objects that don't reapondToSelector:. Back in my UIMappedImageView, I'd override all touch methods, having them forward the touch if the view is in mapped space and ignoring the touches in nonmapped space.

Furthermore, I would expand the UIMappedImageView class to have a mapCoords:selector: method so you could have different actions per mapped shape.

Also, keep the array of shapes readonly.
  6. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Reading this thread gave me an idea:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196086

Make a subclass of UIImageView and add a new UIImage called touchMap or something like that, that touchMap will be red (255, 0, 0) in areas where you want the touch to be detected. Also, it should be transparent, so the user can't see it.

Override the touchesBegan method, and make it check what's the color of the pixel touched in the touchMap image, if it's red, do something, if it isn't, do nothing, or something else.