iMafia - how is it hacked?

Discussion in 'Social Game Friend Codes' started by MadMuppet, Apr 19, 2009.

1. MadMuppet

MadMuppet New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The reason that I want to understand this is because I am currently trying to put together a RPG for the iPhone. I am taking a lot of time to make it better than the current free ones out there and make it more interesting and with many more levels and items than the others out there and also to give people a number of routes to win and different ways of doing it.

Anyway - needless to say this is going to take a few months to do it all - and TBH I am not keen on doing all this just to have someone hack it in 3 minutes and be at the final level before the rest have reached level 2.

Now I thought iMafia had the situation sorted (it is web based as far as I understand)! I can understand how it was done on iMob and iVampire - so I want to get an understanding of how iMafia was broken so I don't make the same mistake. BTW I am releasing the game for free.

Also in a few months time if anyone want to help me by trying to hack the game when I have it in Beta I would be grateful. But for now to understand the iMafia hack would help me out.

my email is jonomc4@gmail.com
  2. vandalj

vandalj New Member

Well if the interest is high enough, you'd better expect to encounter some hackers on the way.

Tips:
    - Avoid Clientside Calculations for critical variables. (exp gained, damage taken, and so forth)
    - Have accounts stored on the server and if you use SQL make sure your input is all escaped properly to avoid SQL Injection.
    - Implement dummy variables and values, a nub is more likely to change these and if you detect them on the serverside you can take appropriate action like banning of that account.
    - Validate all actions, input, etc. i.e: The client just beat a quest and earned 500 000 gold where he should of only gotten 5 000, BAN.
  3. Pyroball

Pyroball New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    I'll beta test and try to hack if you want. PM me either here or on bananas.