IM that uses the least amount of resources?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by sdreamer, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sdreamer

sdreamer New Member

Not sure where to post this, but here's my problem. I just recently jailbroke, and I'm using backgrounder with keep awake, so I can keep my im client working in the background as I do other things (using IM+ Lite). When I try to use Safari, I think I run out of ram, and IM+ Lite closes in the background. So is there an IM app that uses less resources (seems like IM+ uses like about 25-27MB)? I use MSN, so AIM and Yahoo Connect are gone (they seem resource heavy anyways). I prefer it to be a free App from the Appstore. Thanks for the help.
  2. tat.zizzy

tat.zizzy Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    donno about free but bjive is pretty good! it has push email support too! only downside is that its 15$
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think you'll find that any Backgrounded app will crash quite often when you start hitting webpages in Safari... not sure which is the leaner IM client to try and use though but i6t's probably not the one I use, BeejiveIM... I was wishing for a background hooked IM, tweeter client and Radio app in this new 3.0 OS but alas no such luck... they still seem to be frowning on backgrounded apps using the current hardware set ups... one day though, one day!
  4. sdreamer

sdreamer New Member

Thanks for the replies. Hope more will suggest other things. If Apple could make the system use less resources, I guess it could happen on current hardware. I'd use BeejiveIM but I don't want to pay 15$, and use I know I could use the jailbroken part, but its just a personal preference not to get "free" apps. Trying Mobile Linked right now, seems to use less, but not sure how well it works multitasking yet. Wish these things had more ram.
    EDIT: Seems like Mobile Linked uses about 10MB less, but it's kinda crappy. Connection gets reset for no reason after a while too >.> No go with that really if it does that a lot.