I'm scared.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by stay alive 305, Sep 6, 2008.

1. stay alive 305

stay alive 305 New Member

I really want to jailbreak my month old iPhone 3G but I am scared. I know it most likely won't be bricked but I'm scared about permanent changes to my iPhone 3G. I've heard of the unchangeable bootloader stuff.

My question is: does pwnage change anything that restoring won't change back?
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Unless you're waiting to unlock your 3G, then upgrading the bootloader doesn't matter.
  3. stay alive 305

If I ever need to get my iPhone repaired by Apple will they notice the change of bootloader and void my warranty?
  4. ihellago

ihellago New Member

dont do it then.
  5. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you arent unlocking your iphone, then you dont have to worry about changing the baseband or bootloader.
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

No, the bootloader gets updated when you go to stock 2.0.2.

I'm telling you, even if the bootloader was only updated from jailbreaking, most Apple employees don't know the difference between a bootloader and a baseband, nor would they know enough to dig that deep to find the difference in bootloaders.

Upgrading to 2.0.2 and jailbreaking is only a problem for people who want to unlock the 3G eventually; they should stay on a lower bootloader, because that is the bootloader that is being unlocked now.
  7. stay alive 305

I'm not interested in unlocking my iPhone 3G. I just want jailbreak it so that I cAn get the cool apps on installer and cydia and put a custom background on my iPhone 3G. When I jailbreak on 2.0.2 is bootloader or baseband changed? What is the bootloader right now on my unjailbroken iPhone 3G?
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

If you're on anything below 2.0.2, you have a 4.6 BL. If you've ever been on 2.0.2, then you have a higher version (5.x, probably). Jailbreaking does not change the bootloader, it just edits the baseband technically. A restore brings the original baseband back. Also, upgrading changes your baseband every time. Baseband = firmware, it fluctuates with every one.

Since you don't need to unlock, then everything will be fine. If you need to bring your phone to Apple, just do a restore in iTunes, and basically ALL traces of jailbreaking will be gone; they'll never notice.
  9. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There are many things wrong with this post..

The 4.6BL only exists on the original iPhone S-Gold chipset, so I don't understand why you even mention it.
    Likewise, the 5.8 bootloader only exists on the iPhone 3G and is the only bootloader there is for the X-Gold.
    Notice that the iPhone 3G contains the X-Gold chipset, while the original iPhone contains the S-Gold chipset, so these bootloaders are for two entirely different things.
    Firmware doesn't change that, as the bootloader isn't upgraded (except for the 3.8->3.9 case).
    Also, the only bootloader for the X-Gold is 5.8.

Also, a restore will not restore your original baseband firmware.
    Say, for example, you received your iPhone 3G with the baseband at 1.45.00 and upgraded to 2.0.2.
    Your baseband will become 2.08.01.
    Restoring to 2.0 in iTunes will not change this; you will be on 2.0 with the 2.08.01 baseband firmware.

You can opt out of the baseband upgrade by using either WinPwn or PwnageTool, instead of QuickPwn.
    Since WinPwn and PwnageTool create custom firmwares, you can trick the ramdisk into never upgrading your baseband.
    However, since you're not concerned about unlocking, this doesn't matter in your situation.

When you jailbreak, nothing is changed that can't be fixed by a restore.
    Apple can't tell that you've jailbroken as long as you restore to a stock firmware before taking it to them before any kind of service.
  10. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

Trust me as long as you dont change the boot logos apple will never know what you do.I say dont change the boot logos because if it does get bricked you just go to an apple store and say it is broken. I know i was extremely scared the first time. now im jailbreaking left and right. its like driving a car. the first time you drive your kinda scared of hitting other people. but once you get used to it it isnt scary at all