I'm returning it

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Duck, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Duck

Duck New Member

Before I get flamed, read the following carefully so you know where I am coming from and I am sure most of you will agree..

Firstly, this unit is the most beautifully thought-out piece of hardware I've ever owned. The user interface is second-to-none and the bright screen is artwork in itself. The browser is great, and as an Ipod, it is phenominal.

Unfortunately, I purchased the Ipod touch with anticipation that, much like the Iphone, the user community would 'hack' it and provide avenues for me to install 3rd party apps and really turn this into a tool worth carrying with me at all times.

The recent news of the 1.1.1 patch disabling all of the currnet Iphone hacks brought me to the sad realization that I am wasting my time.
    It is clear that the cat-and-mouse game of "wait until the jailbreak becomes available and then watch in disappointment as the new firmware release disables it..... repeat a few months later" is not for me.

From what I can best sum up, I paid $400 for a nice looking computer that will do nothing more than allow me to watch movies, listen to music, and occasionally surf the internet. That's all Apple promised when I purchased it - so I really have no reason to be upset.

Bluntly speaking: I want more.

This thing could, hands-down, be the best PDA to ever hit the market. Unfortunately, it is crippled to be an [expensive] entertainment toy and nothing more. Personally speaking, I have better things to do with my money than spend $400 on something that will 'brick' itself if I try to expand it's capabilities beyond what Apple intended.

I really love the Ipod Touch and with the exception of it being just short of a true PDA, I recommend it to anyone who has the money and can afford to spend it. I wish I had a justifiable excuse to keep it.
    If Apple gets serious about making a new PDA that has functionality beyond a toy that needs to be hacked as such, then I will be first in line.

Until them, I must sadly return to my IPAQ.

Apple, are you listening?
  2. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

No offense, but what did you expect? It take a little bit of time to hack something. It's only been out in stores for 2 days! I think it will be hacked - eventually. I can't say when, but i'm sure it will.

As for me, i'm quite happy with it.
  3. nelothi

nelothi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i get what your comming from. and i agree for the most part. im still geting one, probly wont realy look into hacking it or anything, but i am verry dissapointed that apple took off some of the nice features... like widgets and notepad.. but i am getting it knowing that im getting a ipod with the iphones touch format, thats what i want the most.
  4. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    if you cant handle 2 days worth of waiting.. you would hate the psp community. EVERY single time some exploit is found, sony patches the firmware. im sure this really isnt gonna be much different, but really though, it took almost 3 months after the psp came out for them to even find an exploit, 2 days is nothing, and of COURSE apple is going to patch it because they arent making money off of the apps we would be adding. i guess if you cant handle it, go take it back. imo, its totally going to be worth the wait. just do like the psp and choose "do i want good apps, or an updated system that doesnt let me do anything but boring stuff" im sure you wont update everytime apple releases an update if you put it that way in your mind.
  5. Mint-Berry Crunch

Mint-Berry Crunch Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Boy you are right! We are still waiting for DarkAlex to release the 1.50 kernel for the 3.71m33... If you are returning your iPod after 2 days then you would throw away your PSP.

People in the psp hacking scene are perfect for the ipod scene because we are used to waiting.

Just hang on a while longer. It will all work out!
  6. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

Since this isnt a true internet device, firmware upgrades arent really necessary. But I still believe they will hack it, just as the they hacked the iphone and will do again.

But you were completely right with everything you said. And yes, I went into this with the idea that it would be a nice video and music player. I get the ability to go online when I find a hotspot, and beyond all that, the interface and the touch screen is a pleasure to use.

Im still holding out hope that they will hack it, and I will be able to get some nice PDA style apps (hell even just adding stuff to the calendar would be great) and... a couple games would be nice, sudoku, solitaire, etc... and yes i know i can get them online, but it would be nice to have them offline.

heres to hoping! and in the meantime... heres to a great portable audio/video player with an awesome interface
  7. YOHAN

YOHAN New Member

YEah... what's wrong with you, dude? Things take time... unless the hackers have magical powers and can magically wave their wand and make a hack in a second. It is mighty expensive but I honestly think it's worth every penny even if it probably cost 150usd for apple to make a touch. Apple usually charge 150% and above. Hehe... darn rich dudes milking money out of society!
  8. robertandenith

robertandenith New Member

I agree with you in some, but ask yourself this question...

Do you either want to get a good Toyota 4runner or a nice Hummer H2?

Please Register or Log in to view images

It's a personal choice, don't expect less or more. It is what it is but I gotta tell ya:

I AM OBSESSED WITH MY IPODTOUCH!!!!! HACKED OR NOT

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDITED:

btw I looked it as If I got the BEST iPod device Apple could ever made. I am NOT looking at it as a PDA. This is supposed to be an iPod nothing else and of course they gave us a little more. Now that we have more, we want even MORE?!?!?! It's like when you don't have a car at all you want one, when you get one, then you are sad because you want a better one. geez!!!! lol
  9. synagence

synagence New Member

So why did you bother ordering in 1st place ...

Why is everyone assuming they're entitled to 3rd party apps via hacks ...

Look at the mess the iphone dev teams have got people into now that 1.1.1 is causing phones to be bricks ....

I know people should walk into these things eyes open but most don't ... they just assume it'll be ok ... the hackers are now fully dedicated in the short term to resolving all the crap thats come from 1.1.1 and it just shows how fragile that balance is going to be long term

There is NO guarantee that if we got iBrickr on iPT that apple in a few months will launch a firmware that we'll all want and then cause some other random upset.

I'm sticking with vanilla iPT and bought it for precisely that reason ... i neither expect nor desire more than that right now.

Its basically also the reason i didn't buy or won't be buying an iphone until it does exactly what i expect a 2007 smartphone to do.... the iphone is pretty but falls short on many counts right now and until apple realise this and either open up the platform to legit 3rd party apps or provide software which does it ... i buy apple products on face value
  10. poop-is-brown

poop-is-brown New Member

Fur shur. I'm very patient with this, because sony is a b*tch with the PSP. ANd when DAX left the scence i thought everything was going down the drain.